more of why I can't use my name

Page 3 of 3
On 1/8/2013 1:59 PM, Casper wrote:

This is not about work computing, this is about home computing. They believe that my time at home is an extension of their time.
They believe any negativity is a poor reflection of them. So if I were to call you a name here on my time, my computer, my network, it would violate their policy, and could lead to my termination.
As far as that guy using their equipment to rip DVDs he was an idiot. That violates other agreements big time.
We are all going to be plain vanilla people going forward. No one will be any different than the next. All men will wear dresses and all woman the pants, since that is what society is expecting of us. Men are now encouraged to not exhibit any hostility... any hostility means we are abnormal.... funny, I thought that's what made us men....
What made this country great... having the balls to explore and go out in tough environments .. the meek followed. We are repeatedly being told that this is bad behavior not acceptable. Anger must be controlled. It would be F'd up if some idiot walked around punching people in the face, but controlling everything to the Nth degree is preventing everyone from being themselves, that's not acceptable. We need to explore and sometimes slap someone around verbally ... it's natural. For companies to say no you can't is the beginning of the end.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..

I don't understand that policy. It should be illegal. Because by extension, they could force you to vote for a particular political candidate. Or at least you would be prohibited from voicing any opinion in favor of a candidate who is opposed to anything the company likes, or from voicing any opinion against a candidate who is in favor of something the company likes. Has to be illegal.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/8/13 3:41 PM, Han wrote:

Sound like a Union, Han. :-p
--

-MIKE-

What woodchucker relates about his company sounds likes intellectual slavery - suppression of free speech. Don't misunderstand me, there are laws against slander, and as a supervisor I would definitely take into account what a person says about company, coworkers etc. But stifling constructive criticism is just stupid.
I have been lucky in my professional life that my direct supervisor was always very supportive. Which didn't hold me back from saying things when I thought he was wrong. (Sometimes needing to use "reverse psychology" to get my points across).
No one here would say I never say stupid things <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 15:53:08 -0500, woodchucker <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

If they really think your time is theirs, to that degree, it's certainly not a place I would work. Overtime is one thing (I agreed to do the work). Owning my inventions/patents is OK (I just won't bother on my own time). But owning my thoughts after I've left work, I don't think so.

Can't have *any* individuality. Vote Democratic. "You didn't make that."

If you're a cow, you'll be cowed.

Suck it up, Bubba ... I'm stealing that! ;)
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

When I worked for IBM, the policy was simple; do whatever you want on the Internet but remember you are representing IBM. They didn't much appreciate their 9. Class-A address topping the playboy.com list, though.

Some companies believe their employees are grownups, at least until proven otherwise. Where I work now, the Internet is locked down so tightly it's almost unusable. I bring my own laptop and use my cell phone as a hotspot (as I am now). I often have to use it for work use because they won't let me get to some sites that I need to do my work. Paranoia trumps productivity.

Given that level of paranoia, you shouldn't be posting at all. All ISPs operate is under those same rules.

In come the days of paranoia.

That's why I carry my own laptop (though I wouldn't rip DVDs, in any case).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

Durn right he wasn't thinking. Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted material is a crime. Knucklehead committed a crime on company time, using company resources. They were right to fire him.

When I was fresh out of college, about <mumble> years ago, the company I was working for hired a guy who apparently had a gambling problem. From time to time, he would call a bookie at lunchtime (from the company phone) and place a couple bets on horse races (illegal at that time in that state). Being still wet behind the ears, I figured it wasn't really my place to say anything about what someone senior to me was doing on his own time, but I did think it was stupid to use the company phone, when there was a pay phone right across the street. Then one day Knucklehead called the bookie in the middle of the afternoon. I decided it was time to say something, but before I could move a muscle, my project leader was already on her feet and heading to the boss's office. Next morning, around 8:45, Knucklehead wasn't at work yet (not unusual), Boss walked in, said "I have an announcement. As of last night, <name> is no longer with us. At my request." and walked out. And that was that.

I don't disagree that the company was within its rights to fire the employee, but making a copy of copyrighted material for personal use is not necessarily illegal.
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in

Not if you've already bought a copy, no. You're permitted to make a backup. Doesn't apply in this case, though: he was copying *rented* DVDs, which is most definitely not legal.