more of why I can't use my name

I would have fired him also ... that is sheer stupidity, and you can't ever fix stupid.

Reply to
Swingman

This is not about work computing, this is about home computing. They believe that my time at home is an extension of their time.

They believe any negativity is a poor reflection of them. So if I were to call you a name here on my time, my computer, my network, it would violate their policy, and could lead to my termination.

As far as that guy using their equipment to rip DVDs he was an idiot. That violates other agreements big time.

We are all going to be plain vanilla people going forward. No one will be any different than the next. All men will wear dresses and all woman the pants, since that is what society is expecting of us. Men are now encouraged to not exhibit any hostility... any hostility means we are abnormal.... funny, I thought that's what made us men....

What made this country great... having the balls to explore and go out in tough environments .. the meek followed. We are repeatedly being told that this is bad behavior not acceptable. Anger must be controlled. It would be F'd up if some idiot walked around punching people in the face, but controlling everything to the Nth degree is preventing everyone from being themselves, that's not acceptable. We need to explore and sometimes slap someone around verbally ... it's natural. For companies to say no you can't is the beginning of the end.

Reply to
woodchucker

Several people have told you that your name does not have to be attached. Have you ever looked at the expanded header of your email. There is a wealth of information that one could use to track you to the very computer you used to post the message.

This is the software you are using with your last post:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

woodchucker wrote in news:8M-dnUVrUeCqGnHNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I don't understand that policy. It should be illegal. Because by extension, they could force you to vote for a particular political candidate. Or at least you would be prohibited from voicing any opinion in favor of a candidate who is opposed to anything the company likes, or from voicing any opinion against a candidate who is in favor of something the company likes. Has to be illegal.

Reply to
Han

Sound like a Union, Han. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

The NNTP-Posting-Host: header is much more interesting:

$ host 76.6.47.27

27.47.6.76.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer nj-76-6-47-27.dhcp.embarqhsd.net.

So Jeff appears to be posting from a CenturyLink address in New Jersey, USA.

From the X-Trace header, the giganews poster ID can be derived (albeit not without help at giganews, unless they've used a trival obfuscation means)

The IP address is sufficient (with ISP help) to determine the ICBM address at which the post originated.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

-MIKE- wrote in news:kci4rb$ksu$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

What woodchucker relates about his company sounds likes intellectual slavery - suppression of free speech. Don't misunderstand me, there are laws against slander, and as a supervisor I would definitely take into account what a person says about company, coworkers etc. But stifling constructive criticism is just stupid.

I have been lucky in my professional life that my direct supervisor was always very supportive. Which didn't hold me back from saying things when I thought he was wrong. (Sometimes needing to use "reverse psychology" to get my points across).

No one here would say I never say stupid things .

Reply to
Han

-MIKE- wrote in news:kchg69$pgp$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

@speranza.aioe.org:

is *not* a

to muzzle (or

I hadn't heard about that (and I can't imagine that it would hold up on appeal).

Got a cite?

Reply to
Doug Miller

When I worked for IBM, the policy was simple; do whatever you want on the Internet but remember you are representing IBM. They didn't much appreciate their 9. Class-A address topping the playboy.com list, though.

Some companies believe their employees are grownups, at least until proven otherwise. Where I work now, the Internet is locked down so tightly it's almost unusable. I bring my own laptop and use my cell phone as a hotspot (as I am now). I often have to use it for work use because they won't let me get to some sites that I need to do my work. Paranoia trumps productivity.

Given that level of paranoia, you shouldn't be posting at all. All ISPs operate is under those same rules.

In come the days of paranoia.

That's why I carry my own laptop (though I wouldn't rip DVDs, in any case).

Reply to
krw

If they really think your time is theirs, to that degree, it's certainly not a place I would work. Overtime is one thing (I agreed to do the work). Owning my inventions/patents is OK (I just won't bother on my own time). But owning my thoughts after I've left work, I don't think so.

Can't have *any* individuality. Vote Democratic. "You didn't make that."

If you're a cow, you'll be cowed.

Reply to
krw

Suck it up, Bubba ... I'm stealing that! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

it is *not* a

to muzzle (or

No I don't, it was an article a few years ago. There's all kinds of that stuff going on in Michigan. Huge Muslim population up there.

In any case, do you think if a private employer told a Jewish man he couldn't wear a yamaka to work, they wouldn't get their butts sued?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Nope, I didn't identify myself, therefore they can't figure out who I am or who said it.

If my name were attached, I would be identifying them in some indirect way. Now you can't say it came from so and so in company ABC.

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Yep, I understand, but in checking all my posts, nothing ties it to me directly. They would have to talk to my isp to tie it totally to me. I have reviewed the complete header. So I am confident that any attempt would have to go through my isp.

I also want to straighten this out. I can not use my name to make any statement, since my name can easily be tied to them, they are paranoid that they may lose customers or be thought negatively because of me.

That being said, if they want to try to find me by going to extreme lengths, then it's certainly not for me. And in that case, I would probably hit them where it hurts.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yep you are right, it would be, but again that would be extreme to get to me. It is using my name that could, would get me in trouble with the company, not a post that removes my name from the issue. But if I mentioned the company in a negative comment I guarantee they would try to find out who posted it.

Now if I use my name in any negative post, I am putting it right out there.. Which I won't do. I'll chose to not fight that battle, because even if I win, I lose.

Reply to
woodchucker

Swingman wrote in news:Bt- dnUJPlsOJr3HNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

+1 to that!
Reply to
-Steve-

They'd have to get a court order (subpoena) to get the information.

Sounds like you've already lost, just by working for them.

Reply to
krw

-MIKE- wrote in news:kci8fl$u4j$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

*yarmulke

Yes, the employer would probably get sued. It's not clear who would win the case.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not clear... because of our corrupted court system which has been taken over by activist judges, perhaps. The constitution and prevailing cases are pretty clear on the matter.

Reply to
-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Durn right he wasn't thinking. Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted material is a crime. Knucklehead committed a crime on company time, using company resources. They were right to fire him.

When I was fresh out of college, about years ago, the company I was working for hired a guy who apparently had a gambling problem. From time to time, he would call a bookie at lunchtime (from the company phone) and place a couple bets on horse races (illegal at that time in that state). Being still wet behind the ears, I figured it wasn't really my place to say anything about what someone senior to me was doing on his own time, but I did think it was stupid to use the company phone, when there was a pay phone right across the street. Then one day Knucklehead called the bookie in the middle of the afternoon. I decided it was time to say something, but before I could move a muscle, my project leader was already on her feet and heading to the boss's office. Next morning, around

8:45, Knucklehead wasn't at work yet (not unusual), Boss walked in, said "I have an announcement. As of last night, is no longer with us. At my request." and walked out. And that was that.
Reply to
Doug Miller