more of why I can't use my name

Page 2 of 3  
On 1/8/2013 10:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:

If you post information on line, you may be unknown to the casual user, but if someone is determined to know who you are they will learn who you are.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 10:36 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Absolutely ... in the "Internet Age", once you hit the send button it will be available to those with the resources in perpetuity, or as long as that is.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 12:10 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yes, but again, my name is not attached, therefore I can't bring harm to the company directly, or indirectly, as it was an anonymous post. Or almost. Any perceived breach is just that percieved and not real.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 12:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Let me rephrase that:
.... once you hit the send button _who you are_ will be available to those with the resources in perpetuity, or as long as that is.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 1:23 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Several people have told you that your name does not have to be attached. Have you ever looked at the expanded header of your email. There is a wealth of information that one could use to track you to the very computer you used to post the message.
This is the software you are using with your last post:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Thunderbird/17.0
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The NNTP-Posting-Host: header is much more interesting:
$ host 76.6.47.27 27.47.6.76.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer nj-76-6-47-27.dhcp.embarqhsd.net.
So Jeff appears to be posting from a CenturyLink address in New Jersey, USA.
From the X-Trace header, the giganews poster ID can be derived (albeit not without help at giganews, unless they've used a trival obfuscation means)
The IP address is sufficient (with ISP help) to determine the ICBM address at which the post originated.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 5:02 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Yep you are right, it would be, but again that would be extreme to get to me. It is using my name that could, would get me in trouble with the company, not a post that removes my name from the issue. But if I mentioned the company in a negative comment I guarantee they would try to find out who posted it.
Now if I use my name in any negative post, I am putting it right out there.. Which I won't do. I'll chose to not fight that battle, because even if I win, I lose.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:23:18 -0500, woodchucker <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

They'd have to get a court order (subpoena) to get the information.

Sounds like you've already lost, just by working for them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 7:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yep, you are right. But I need to pay the bills and I took this before knowing. But I have a feeling this won't be the only company like this.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:45:13 -0500, woodchucker <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Seems to be a growing trend. Schools too, are restricting what faculty can do and say on line. Seem as though Facebook is causing a lot of problems in society as more and more people do dumb things and reveal too much of their personal lives and thoughts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It's the dumb every thing down to the lowest denominator way we do things these days so that those that don't put in the effort have an equal chance. The every one gets a trophy for signing up, mentality. It is knowing that we can control what you say on your own time because if you don't like it we can fire you and hire the person that only gets trophies because he signed up.
The problem is that we live in the real world where our competition does not think that way and they are currently whipping our asses. Banks steal from us because they know that 50% of their customer are below average in intelligence and because we are lowering expectations so that every one has an equal opportunity many many more of us fall below the 50% average intelligence compared to a few years ago..
With our new government health care system Nurse Bubba is going to have an equal chance, to perform brain surgery on you, as the doctor that pioneered the procedure that is about to performed on you. Nurse Bubba's qualifications, three, count'm three trophies. Nurse Bubba won out over intern Guber because one of Nurse Bubba's trophies was for actually participating.
Rant off. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/9/2013 4:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Arguably doing the rest of us a big favor by providing the dickheads with the means to shine the light of scrutiny on themselves ... you can't fix stupid, and it is getting harder to hide.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 4:11 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Yep, I understand, but in checking all my posts, nothing ties it to me directly. They would have to talk to my isp to tie it totally to me. I have reviewed the complete header. So I am confident that any attempt would have to go through my isp.
I also want to straighten this out. I can not use my name to make any statement, since my name can easily be tied to them, they are paranoid that they may lose customers or be thought negatively because of me.
That being said, if they want to try to find me by going to extreme lengths, then it's certainly not for me. And in that case, I would probably hit them where it hurts.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"woodchucker" wrote in message

Nope, I didn't identify myself, therefore they can't figure out who I am or who said it.
If my name were attached, I would be identifying them in some indirect way. Now you can't say it came from so and so in company ABC.
--
Jeff
formerly tiredofspam..
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Just one of the reasons I have chosen to be self-employed/major shareholder of place of employment since 1973.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

+1 to that!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So if you screw something up and say "Man, I am such an idiot", that means you can fire yourself for disparaging an employee, right?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Swingman wrote:

Yep. Back in '78 I decided that as long as I was going to work for a fool, that fool might as well be me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If you are permitted access to the internet from work for personal use, you are fortunate. Many companies do not allow access for regardless of if it may help with work.
Some comapnies setup guest internet connections but usually employees are not allowed to access them as they could violate policy, leak information, or inadvertantly allow outsiders access.
Honestly, the worst thing you can do is access the internet, personal email or other personal information from your work computer. Once you do the company has access to that information and should any authorities request it, they are legally bound to divulge it.
You may not think much of that but as someone who has witnessed employee firings and prosecution for doing just that, it's one thing I will never do. Long gone are the .com days of happy work computing.
Here is one example ... Guy working in a software company would go out to lunch and pick up a DVD rental. Back at the office he would rip it to his work laptop, which he took home every night to work on. When the company found out he was immediately terminated and fortunate not to be prosecuted. He didn't think he was doing anything wrong. Ergo, he wasn't thinking.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 1/8/2013 12:59 PM, Casper wrote:

I would have fired him also ... that is sheer stupidity, and you can't ever fix stupid.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.