More noise about climate

Page 4 of 8

....adn they're usually busy opposing any- and everything the Obama administration is trying to accomplish.

Who is opposing what? Squealing pglets will oppose anything ...
--
Best regards
Han

Do you remember Boer Koekoek van de Boeren Partij? (BK) "Ik ber er teugen." (reporter) "Waarom?" (BK) "Omdat ik er teugen ben."
Translation: A politician stated he was against something, and a reporter asked him why. The answer was: "because I am against it.."
On 2/1/2010 2:33 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Didn't know "Pelosi" was Dutch!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yes, I remember Boer Koekoek (Farmer Cuckoo). He lived in Bennekom, all of 3 miles from where I lived at the time. He was the prototype of candidate for the protest voter. Garnered FARRR too many votes, but luckily only once or twice. This was a big thing in Holland, because of the large number of parties represented in the lower chamber of parliament, and the necessity for coalition negotiations. His impact was far greater than it should have been. As protest candidates always have an impact out of proportion to their "contribution".
--
Best regards
Han
"Han" wrote:

------------------------- That's as good a description of the Republicans these days as any I guess.
Lew

Thanks, Lew!!
--
Best regards
Han

Great cover! Bookmarked for later perusal. Thanks.
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:24:37 -0600, the infamous Swingman

Bloody 'ell. Spewed all over the monitor and keyboard when I saw that mag cover wif a nekkid al on it. And the polar bears were cracking up so hard, they spewed on the _inside_ of the monitor.
Blast you, Swingy! Prepare us, will ya?
I'm halfway through and consider it a good article.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan
On 3/10/2010 5:26 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

LOL ... I thought the caricature of Big Al was worth the click.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Katie says "...that nature may be more responsible for climate changes than man. What a novel thought!" Understatement of the decade.
But the True Believers in AGWK continue on, unhindered by reality.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. -- Ronald Reagan
Swingman wrote:

but, but, but - what happened to the hockey stick? This guys asking to be kicked out of the club...
That guy left in disgrace. He was sold on an idea and proved it with false data that he knew was false. He was found out and was forced to resign.
People get into a mode and buy into something only to find it blowing up in their face.
In the late 60's a like problem - plate tectonics. Some believed and others po poohed it so badly they lost face when it proved out. Now it is on the news from time to time after earthquakes or volcano blowing their top.
All it takes is a few senior members to write under a common theme and a stampede is started to absorb honor and knowledge. Lemmings running for the edge only sometimes the edge is a slope that leads to the heights.
Martin
Doug Winterburn wrote:

....adn they're usually busy opposing any- and everything the Obama administration is trying to accomplish.
========================================================== The mice or the pigs or both?

Depends on whether four legs are worse than two?
snip

Japanese produced glow in the dark pigs sometime in the last couple years. And it all sounds very nice, but where's the Off Switch!?
snip
Han wrote:

Something that a lot of people don't "get" is that CO2 from biological sources such as respiration is recycled so there's not a net increase. As for methane, methane is a fuel, it reacts with air and produces CO2 and water, sometimes rapidly in a fire, sometimes more slowly.
The question I want answered, that the greenies have never tried to address, is "Let's stipulate that everything you say is true. Suppose we let the whole thing run its course, burn up all the oil and coal and shale oil and whatnot. At the end of that process where will we be?"
On 1/31/2010 8:22 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

It's a good question, and I don't think there is a single answer. Where we will be, necessarily, will be determined by the choices we make between now and then.
I suspect, and of course have no way of knowing, that we will not completely consume all fuel resources - but I extrapolate that as each resource becomes less readily available it will become increasingly costly, and so diminish in terms of common usage.
As that happens, either the usage (what people accomplished with that particular resource) will be discontinued, or another resource or another means of accomplishing that goal will be adopted.
Such a scenario leaves a lot of room for all kinds of choices, and I'm not convinced that being a "greenie" (or not being a greenie) has much to do with that answer.
Those future choices will be influenced by the importance attached to "green-ness" of each person's outlook at the time - and, FWIW, I don't think "green" is a binary attribute.
To me the more interesting questions are "Where do we _want_ to be in five, ten, a hundred, or a thousand years from now?" and "What choices need to be made, and by when, for those visions to be realized?"
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar