More Actual Woodworking and another use for the Domino

A few weeks ago I posted some pictures of the twin walnut curio cabinets that I am building for a customer. The bottom cabinets are just about complete.

The top, mostly glass, are shown here sitting on top of the lower cabinets. There will be a solid wood panel between the bottom and top cabinets and a solid walnut top on top of the top cabinets.

So far the only screws that are in these cabinets are a few holding the bottom trim at the bottom cabinets.

Because the walnut panels that will separate the top and bottom cabinets and cover the top cabinets are solid walnut I had to improvise for wood movement. Not doing so would have meant that the attachment screws would probably pull out or break. And their heads could not be above the surface or bottom of the panels.

Another problem that the Festool Domino was instrumental in solving that allows for the expansion of the solid walnut panels. The panels are

16.5" wide, 24" long

Leon

Word! ... you be a badass mofo woodworker, dog! LOL

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Not seeing what you're solving with that last image. But the screw holes are very nice, if that is what the Domnio was used for.

Reply to
woodchucker

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:03:49 -0600, Leon

That's pretty neat. You just love your Domino don't you? I'll bet in your free time, you sit around thinking up new uses for your Domino. Pinning drawer sides. Making expansion slots. What's next?

Better buy a second Domino to keep on hand. If your present Domino dies on you, you're going to have a meltdown. :)

I noticed you've got a stop rule in that expansion slot picture. I've got one too. It's pretty handy isn't it?

Reply to
none

Yes that was what the Domino was used for. The screws will be anchored into the edge of the walnut rails. The screws will stay stationary. The walnut panel will be attached to those rails via the screws that you see, The slotted holes will allow the panels to expand and contract.

Reply to
Leon

LOL Why yes, yes I do.

I'll bet in

Actually I plan to to things in a certain way and the Domino just happens to be the answer. I could have done this with a router but that would have been complicated.

A dealer is close enough. ;~)

Damn handy. And this gets use just as much too.

Leon

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 22:07:32 -0600, Leon

The through holes appear to be domino sized. How did you make the wider insets for the screw heads? Were they two adjacent Domino mortises?

Reply to
none

I can't think of a project in years that I have not reached for mine a dozen times. Same with that long sliding ruler you gave me years back.

Reply to
Swingman

The through holes are exact width 5mm mortises, directly on top, 10mm exact width, plunged about 3/16" The domino was placed up and down, sitting on its face, fence folded up. The bottom of the Domino was indexed against a, clamped in place, strait edge. I used two pieces of orange tape with a measured mark on each to align the straight edge both for the 5mm and 10mm cuts. I made all of the 5mm mortises first. Measurements not being critical I decided that replacing the fence for each operation was probably less trouble than changing the bit out 16 times for both ends of of all 4 panels.

Reply to
Leon

These fixed distance measuring devices really speed layouts up. Wait till you get the hang of using the story stick. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

The one on the left:

Who makes that one?

Reply to
Swingman

But doesn't my combo square do the same thing? I filed a round in the rule's ends recess, so I can keep a pencil for layouts.

Or I can use the end to use a marking knife on the flat.

Reply to
woodchucker

Pretty much, but not nearly as handy or as quick, IME.

The width of the blade makes it easier to quickly/squarely align parts a certain distance from an edge in one motion than with a combo square, a frequent task in cabinet making ... like quickly squaring up Euro hinges in a 35mm hole when installing cabinet doors.

It also fits in an apron pocket, where I can jealously guard it onsite. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Yes it can but with the Veritas you get a longer surface to mark on and it is not as cumbersom and the rule is typically not as precise.

Reply to
Leon

Not sure who makes'm but this is where I get'm

Leon

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:21:10 -0600, Leon

Hmmm. I haven't used my 10mm Domino bit yet. Your 10mm bit slot looked bigger than I thought it would have looked.

One other question. I haven't tried a through hole with the Domino yet. Do you use a backer board when doing a Domino through hole?

Reply to
none

I wouldn't think it necessary since it's a spiral bit pulling toward the festool.

Reply to
woodchucker

You know, the 10 mm slot is twice as wide as the 5mm slot. ;~)

And of course the slot is going to be 5mm wider/longer.

I did not for those pictured and I did have a bit o tear out on the back side. None of this is going to ever show so I was not concerned. And I was thinking that the bit might finally be getting a bit dull.

Today I made 16 more through slots and had not one tear out. I suspect it was the orientation, vertical, that I was holding the Domino and did not have a real stable hold on it yesterday. I probably wiggled a bit. Today the Domino was cutting horizontally.

Reply to
Leon

Other than the vernier, I think my combo square accomplishes everything the stop rule can. What am I missing here?

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Probably nothing. How does your combination square compare in price? Is you square all satin chrome steel?

These stop rules operate very smoothly and have a good feel. I find my combination squares a bit cumbersome.

Reply to
Leon