"Molding Profiler" -- what's it called?

This tool consists of about 200 thin steel "wires" all in a row. You press it against a convex surface, and the wires move and leave you with a way to sketch the contour. My dad had one of these and now I need one. What is this tool called?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

contour gauge

Reply to
BillyBob

Try searching for either a contour gauge or a profile gauge.

?c=2&p=32522&cat=1,42936,42958
?ie=UTF8&tag=toolmonger-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00004T7RA

Reply to
Dan Coby

Thank you very much!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Lowe's sells one, not all that good a quality but might be usable for most things.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I was actually thinking of buying the one at Lowes (Item #14154, Model

837 -- $6.96). I'm pretty sure it would suffice, as I just need it to match various moldings (rather than, say, using it in turning, on a lathe). What would you consider a better quality one?

Bill

Reply to
Bill