Mold for Chess Set Drawer

I want to make a small drawer to hold chess pieces -- it would be nice if the pieces weren't loose. What I'm thinking of doing is putting clay in the drawer, and then impressing each piece. But then I'd like to somehow get that velvity finish on it somehow -- any ideas? Also, is clay good for this, or are there other materials that are better? (Whatever it is, it has to wash off the wooden chess pieces after I've made the impression...)
John
julvr wrote:

You could try using this stuff http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/74 /. Once it's hard, flock it http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pD669&cat=1,250,43298,43300
--John

You know, I have seen that flocking material applied in a jewelry box I was really surprised - it looked great.
Robert

That stuff has been around four days past forever, I think. I recall as a kid seeing it in ads in magazines as a way to make money...they sold you the kits and told you who to sell to, etc. Similar to bronzing baby shoes, where they sold you the gear and the methods.
Does anyone bronze baby shoes any more?

You could make a french fitted drawer: http://books.google.com/books?id=sH4h_yDTGacC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=how+to+french+fitted+drawer&source=web&ots=uqLvpvkdIF&sig=cvfpGs16Q5yPUHWdTEq-ARVKPYw&hl=en or you could wrap the pieces in plastic and use low expanding foam. You'd flock the foam (it sounds dirty but it isn't) and probably use a felt lining in the french fitted drawer.

Take a block of foam rubber and cut a row of slots in it smaller than the chess pieces. Serpentine a piece of satin in the slots tucking and gluing the edges under the block of foam. You may also wish to glue the fabric to the slot botoms. When a chess piece is pushed into the folds the foam will compress and hold the piece.