I have some rough cut oak boards my dad got me in my garage floor. I
noticed a blue substance on them. Some can be scratched off with a
finger nail. Others can not. Is this mold? If it is can these boards be
used? Will they be ok after planeing?
If you have a microscope you might be able to tell more about the
substance. If it is mold or mildew you can scrap off most of it with
a putty knife then wipe the boards with a rag moistened with diluted
household bleach. The boards should be useable if they have not
rotted too much. It's best to store stock up off the floor.
If it is mold, depending on what type, you probably would NOT want to
be breathing the dust from planing those. If you really must do this,
do it outside AND get a very good-quality respirator designed for mold
On the other hand, your blue substance could be chalk. If you're sure
it wasn't there before and just appeared at some point, it's almost
definitely some type of fungus (of which mold is one type).
Chlorine bleach, which is a sodium hypochlorite decomposes to
sodium chloride and chlorine gas when it dries. Unless you use
a very strong solution there won't be much residue once the
wood is dry.
But chlorine bleach will often turn mold black, so try it on a small
I'm mostly a lurker, but I just wonder why you don't want your
posts archived? On some ngs that basically says "don't respond"
- just a step above "reply by email." When someone says DAGS,
why don't you want your posts to come up? You've asked some
good questions. You are already using a hotmail account. If
you don't want that one to stay in the archives, might I suggest
that you make another one - they are free.
Anyway, do what you want, of course -just wondering.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.