Moisture testing

Has anyone used a VOM to test for moisture in wood? If so, how can this be done? The wood-moisture meters are somewhat expensive, so I'm looking for alternative methods. Thanks.
I thought about this a while ago, and saved the article that talked me out of it. It is almost 20 years old, but describes many of the factors you'd need to consider. The bottom line is that you'd need a conductance meter to measure the high resistance (greater than 1000 MOhms) encountered in wood that is dry enough to make furniture out of. The article does give a great review of some of the other issues to consider even if you use a commercial tester. (Where to test, effect of thickness, temperature, grain direction, calibration issues, surface water, etc.)
Here's the link: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr06.pdf
If you find a way, please pass it on.
David
Phisherman wrote:

After some thought I decided to purchase the Lignomat Mini Ligno E/D ($113 delivered), which has extended moisture readings 6-45%, digital readout, and a two wood-group compensation. The Wagner is just too much money, but I'm sure it is good choice.
I know I can get accurate moisture computations using a sample, a very accurate scale, and an oven.