Modular Mounting of Benchtop tools

A while back, I found a site that sold different size tool bases, and they even sold extra wood tops. The idea was that you mount each tool on a sheet of wood, and then just pull out the tool you need and plop it on the base. They had a line of at least 6 stands, some for corners, and the others were varying sizes.

I think that they even had a larger stand with "shelves" for storing your tools that were not in use. I was thinking that it was dewalt, but nothing on their website.

Anyone know what this site was, or something similar? Don't really want to build it myself, although I suppose I could... thx.

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- HyLoft Overhead Storage System

- Lumber Wizard Metal Detector

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

Woodcrafter

I agree with Woddcrafter's suggestion for ToolDock.

I also ran accross this recently

places on his site he shows how he mounted a spindle sander to his router table.

NJBrad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Probably Tooldock. The local Sears stocks it here.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yep, tooldock was it. thanks guys. That is also a very interesting site where the guy is showing how they made their own. It's starting to get me a little motivated to doing it myself, but between these sites, I'll come up with something!!

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Reply to
Xlat

I made up something quite similar for several of my tools. Made a base which has a recess in it that fit's a 20" x 10" x 3/4" piece of plywood ( basically an oversize router table ). Then I made up several boards of that dimension and mounted my planer, table saw, mitre saw and benchtop router table on each of them.

Whenever I need to use a tool, I just pick up the (planer, table saw, mitre saw etc ) and place it in the base. Leaves me more room in my small shop having one base for many tools. When not in use, the tools have a shelf of their own and stack quite neatly in one corner of the shop. The single base only takes up a fifth of the room that all of them would need.

It didn't take me long at all to make up the base, nor the boards to mount the tools to. Hope this helps.

Todd

Reply to
Todd

I built something similar, though not very pretty. I basically used

2x4's, and some of the framing connectors that you can get at HD or Lowes. I made the stand about 33"x30", then screwed in some more 2x4's for runners at the height I wanted to store the tools.

I use a B&D Workmate for my stand, so I mounted each tool to a piece of 3/4" plywood that was the size of the top, and attached a 7x25'ish piece of plywood to the bottom. That allows me to remove the center panel on the workmate and clamp the tool to the workmate using the clamping table, but leaves clearence so that the tool rests on the main plywood base while in the rack, rather than resting on the 7" runner in the center.

Trace Wilson

Reply to
William Wilson