Mobile base for lathe

I'm surprised to hear that you have had problems.

I used two 3/4" strips of red oak, glued together, to make the beams. The inside beam-to-beam dimensions are 24" x 28". Using this base for a

1970's vintage Craftsman table saw, I have no problem with flexing or moving the saw, even on low pile carpet. (Don't ask.)
Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well actually a Craftsman contractors saw, even with the cast iron top, is relatively light weight compared to my DP and or a decent sized jointer. The heavy part of my old Craftsman was the cast iron top and the foot print was relatively small. My DP probably weighs 300 lbs with its cast iron base and belt housing and long steel column.

So I am sure it works fine for you just like my router table cabinet with loaded drawers.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but you don't need all that stuff if building your own cabinet. My wife bought me that same set for xmas once, I think it was Delta though. I never used anything but the lift mechanism, which was nice. I still have the rest of it in a box somewhere. I built a cabinet for my TS and jointer, and used the lift there. Nothing moves, in fact, I could leave the lift up and it still is stable unless your lean on it hard. The jointer fence doubles as an outboard support for the left side of the TS. Lots of advantages to building your own bases.

Jack

Small lathes like this are not so top heavy. Particularly if you have a cabinet with drawers full of tools under it. I reckon if you are turning something huge on the out board end, but even then, a heavy cabinet full of tools is a good way to go. If that's not enough, then you need to bolt it to the floor rather than make it mobile.

Reply to
Jack