Mobile base for drill press, any ideas?

Just picked up the DP400 from Lowes for $220. But I would really like to have a mobile base for it seeing that it is good size for my garage. There was one idea I found online here

this is not bad but I'd like to have more of footprint than just the drill base itself. The manual suggests at least 3" extra all around. We have a couple of drills this size at work but they are bolted to the cement, so I don't know how tipsy they get without securing. Of course bolting to the ground is best. The ones at work don't move at all which is great .

Of the mobile bases that I saw for sale the Delta 50-345 looks best to me in that I could make a plywood base to fit the mobile part and I like the simple lifting 3rd wheel.

And there is the HTC2000 by I don't know who really but the delta just looks easier overall.

Now I really don't have the funds I want to put out $50 at this point for a mobile base, I need to buy some building supplies for my project instead. I'd like to cut this cost in half at least.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Grant

I have mine mounted on casters with no locking mechanism of any type. The casters only hold the base off the floor about 1/2 inch. I have never found it to be awkward to have it moveable, my drill press work just doesn't seem inclined to move the tool. The same is true for my bandsaw, miter saw, stationary sander (I have had to chock the wheels on the sander if I'm being aggressive), and planer Let the tools do the work.

Save the mobile base stuff for the table saw and jointer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Yes I can appreciate the resourcefulness but it looks a bit to "minimalist" for me.

"LRod" wrote

Reply to
Grant

I don't understand this urge to go out and buy things that we can easily make in our shops and save money by doing it.

I make my mobile bases out of scrap ends of 2x4s laid horizonitally, joined at the corners with glued mortises and tenons. But you can make simple lap joints screwed or bolted together if your prefer.

I mount four casters and there you are. I use locking casters or a "step on" spring loaded door stop to keep it from moving.

What could be more simple to craftsmen like us?

Peace ~ Sir Edgat =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8

Reply to
Sir Edgar

I agree. I have put some mobile bases together in a couple of hours using leftovers from my shop. However, the thing that often escalates the shop-build cost to near that of a commercial base is the price of those pesky swivel and locking casters. He will need fairly good sized wheels to maintain stability when moving the drill press.

Do you have a good source for wheels? I have salvaged grocery cart parts before but they are kinda hard to come by (honorably).

I make my mobile bases out of scrap ends of 2x4s laid horizonitally, joined at the corners with glued mortises and tenons. But you can make simple lap joints screwed or bolted together if your prefer.

I mount four casters and there you are. I use locking casters or a "step on" spring loaded door stop to keep it from moving.

What could be more simple to craftsmen like us?

Peace ~ Sir Edgat øøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøøø

Reply to
RonB

Yes, Don't use the one in the url above if you value your health.

Reply to
Mark

By the way - In my humble opinion the best solution to this problem might be put something else on wheels and find a permanent home for the drill press. In spite of some conflicting opinions, if you ever roll against a nail, or chunk of wood, and get the head ahead of the center of gravity (high!), it will be on the floor before you can react.

You don't want to be under it.

Reply to
RonB

Then how can you prevent it getting damaged. Throwing your body under it is the only way to go. Broken bones heal, but a bent up DP is forever.

Reply to
Mark

Well.........OK. Good Point!

Reply to
RonB

Reminds me of a boss I had at a former job. We were moving some of the computer equipment around and he told us to be careful. If we fall, we were to put ourselves between the computers and the ground. "Flesh grows back, but computers cost money" was his phrase.. He was not kidding.

Reply to
Mike O.

And this is what makes the Delta moblie base look so good. But the price is beyond what I really want to fork out right now. Heck the Delta would be nearly a 1/4 of the price of the Drill Press itself. And at least with something like the Delta base I'd have something I could use for something else later on. But again the price, even if it is fair, is beyond what I want to spend right now.

I might just be stuck putting a plywood base on the drill press so it is more stable as the manual suggests and just slide it around as needed for the time being. It weighs in at 200lbs, which is about 30lbs more than mine. But I feel I could handle it

"RonB" wrote

Reply to
Grant

Scarp metal dealer could sell you a nice chunk of 1/2 plate any size you want. Bolt it on the bottom put a couple swivel wheels on the back corners, straight wheels on the front and you are in business.

Reply to
Mark

I missed the OP, but if he's talking about a floor model drill press, stability is indeed a problem.

I have a fairly large bench model and I built a 10 drawer cabinet on wheels to go under it. The weight of the tools in the cabinet lowers the center of gravity to an acceptable point.

And I agree that casters are expensive. I used an idea I saw somewhere. I cut some plywood "doughnuts" that fit under the wheels and hold them just off the floor - that way I didn't need locking casters. All you need is a lever to lift each side, one at a time, an inch or so to insert or remove the doughnuts. Works for me.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

After looking at that thing in the URL, yours is a point well worth making! I once had to move a floor DP with an hand truck, and the darn thing got away from me on a turn. I managed to grab the top and stay upright, but it took both hands, so picture me standing there, unable to move, and trying to figure out what to do with this thing. (Obvious answer: slowly lower to the floor and go get a cup of coffee instead.)

The problem with bolting on a stable frame is that you typically want to be able to put the DP up against a wall, and there's no good way to stabilize it for moving unless you extend the frame behind it a ways.

GerryG

Reply to
GerryG

Reply to
Phisherman

Here's a half of $50 solution at

(Go to tools --> Accessories and scroll.) They have traveling tool shows and a mail order business. Poor quality generally, but the mobile base works great for my DP. The base is 3-4" wider on each side, and 1-2" longer. (I can measure it if you send me an email.) It costs $16.99 plus about $10 shipping (unless they are in your neighborhood), and maybe tax. I wouldn't use the base for anything with a bigger footprint or much more weight (or for pushing uphill or downhill), but for the drill press it has proved stable and cheap.

David

Grant wrote:

Reply to
David

Two square pieces of 3/4" ply and 4 - 3" swivel casters I got from Grizzly's Summer sale (something like 150 lb. rating on each and for like $2-3 each). I put the locking type on the front. Doesn't move except when I want it to and total price was around $12 (ply was scrap). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

Yeah that looks like it would work if it was 21" by 28", which is 3" extra around the actual base. The manual says to use this measurement if not bolting to ground directly. If I did buy a base I'd like to get it near this measurement.

"David" wrote > Here's a half of $50 solution at

(Go to tools -->

Reply to
Grant

I am intarested to know that what is the i phone site.I get that is it.http://www.iphonebye.com