Mixing Paint - or Whatever

For what it's worth my grandfather devised an electric stirrer to mix paint. He'd puch a small hole in the center of the paint can lid. Then cut a length of coat hanger, bend it to fit inside the can, extending out several inches, thread it thru the lid, seal the lid back on, insert the protruding end of the hanger into an electric drill chuck, tighten, turn on. From personal experience, it works very well, with no mess. You could use a eggbeater drill instead, but that wouldn't be near as much fun. Of course, if you don't use all the paint, and want to re-use the can, you'd have to seal the hold somehow - but that's one of the things you have duct tape for.
JOAT Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3331.bay.webtv.net:

I've done something similar. I shaved down a 1/2" dowel to 3/8" at the end (what I had on hand) and attached a square piece of plastic on the bottom (to form a T-shape if you look directly at it.) That did a pretty decent job of missing little containers of paint and stain, but for the larger sizes you needed more.
My solution was to screw a rectangular piece of plastic near the end of the mixing stick, twisting it so you had the a little more plastic to paint contact. Since I only used one screw, I could turn the little "flag" to be perpendicular to the shaft for the gallon size containers.
This went on the drill, and for the most part worked pretty well. I don't know where the mixer attachment is, though.
Puckdropper