Mitre Trimmer measuring attachment.

Hi people,
I have a Mitre Trimmer, one of the knockoff's of the Lion trimmer. I use it for custom picture framing and I am very happy with the quality. I am perplexed however at the "measuring attachment" and how such a device would work on this tool. I have one for my mitre saw, but I cannot see how it would work on a trimmer. You need to slice off just a tiny bit to get a clean cut and anything larger and the trimmer will get stuck. So how can a measuring attachment work? Does anyone use one?
Luke Ingram