Mitre question???

I want to make an 8 sided table top. What would he mitre angle be for the skirting?

Reply to
JAKE

Tell me you are kidding.

Dave

Reply to
David

22.5
Reply to
Leon

Here is the way to figure any of these questions

For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6 sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 (for sixth side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =720 Now divide by number of sides....720/6 =120...divide 120 in half because you are mitering 60 degrees.

Now let's try it on the 8 sided table.

360 for the square + 180 + 180 + 180 + 180 + 1080

1080/8= 135

Reply to
John "The Toymaker" Gilham

Geez you made that complicated. The simple equation to any sided table is simply take the number of sides multiply by 2 and divide that number in to

360. Period.

More simply put, 360 divided by double the sides.

360/(4 sides x 2) = 45 360/(8 sides x 2) = 22.5 360/(60 sides x 2) = 3
Reply to
Leon

A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = 30

Reply to
Leon

I'm not sure which is more intriguing: the fact that the question was brought up by a "woodworker", or the confusion it has engendered in this thread...

Dave

Reply to
David

Asked and answered just recently, so my first impression was that this is a troll. A Google would bring the result. However, since it has been answered several ways, I'll suggest yet another method, still based on the same principles.

8 sides = 8 triangles to the center. The center angle is then divided 8 ways = 360/8 = 45 Each triangle has two angles at the outside that are equal, and the angles in a triangle add to 180, so they add to 180 - 45 = 135. Being equal, they are each 67.5 degrees.

Do the same sort of calculation for any number of sides [oteh thsan

8.]
Reply to
Guess who

180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the complicated equations??
Reply to
gw

If the table top is accurately cut, then 22.5degrees

John

Reply to
John

That will work. The math is how to get there.

Reply to
Guess who

As you can see by using math you've come up with a completly wrong answer. By using common sense the angle for the skirt cuts would be 22.5. This is not rocket science.

Reply to
Battleax

"Leon" wrote in news:Qy9De.366$P snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

Which of course is the same thing. 30 and 60 degree angles are complimentary.

Reply to
Secret Squirrel

"Battleax" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

Which as I mentioned to another poster is the same thing.

22.5 and 67.5 are complimentary angles. It's just a matter of which side of the line you're cutting.
Reply to
Secret Squirrel

Secret Squirrel wrote: ...

And on top of liking each other, they're "complementary" in forming a right angle... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Secret Squirrel wrote: ...

You've the wrong "compliment" here (BTW, I didn't post until after I read the second time, just to be sure...). :)

Angles are "complementary", we give each other "compliments" for good work, etc., ... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JAKE) wrote in news:19918-42DD0C96-850@storefull-

3134.bay.webtv.net:

As stated, this question cannot be answered, as there are infinitely many possible arrangements of 8 sides which result in a closed surface.

However, assuming that what you really meant was "I want to make an octagonal table top", the answer is 22 1/2 degrees.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

| > > For every side add 180 degrees, after 4 sides. example 6 | > > sides....360(for the four sides then 180 (for fifth side) + 180 = (for | sixth | > > side) add up...360 + 180 +180 =3D720 Now divide by number of | > > sides....720/6 =3D120...divide 120 in half because you are = mitering 60 | > > degrees. | >

| > Wrong | >

| > A 6 sides table would require 30 degree cuts. 360/ (6 sides x 2) = =3D 30 | >

|=20 | 180 / (number of sides) has always worked for me. What's with all the | complicated equations?? |=20 |=20

Rube Goldberg ring a bell???

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

Actually you probably are not going to find a 60 degree setting on any saw. So uh you would set to 30 degrees.

Reply to
Leon

And I will mention again that you will not find 67.6 degrees on your saw.

Reply to
Leon