Mitre Clamping

I have a box that is 3" high and 20" long and the timber is 3/4" thick. The ends are mitered at 45 and will be fixed with biscuits. What is the best method of clamping the frame until the glue dries? Do I need mitered clamps or will sash clamps work?

Thanks

Reply to
Garry Collins

I have a box that is 3" high and 20" long and the timber is 3/4" thick. The ends are mitered at 45 and will be fixed with biscuits. What is the best method of clamping the frame until the glue dries? Do I need mitered clamps or will sash clamps work?

Thanks

Reply to
Garry Collins

As Norm would say, a few brads to hold it till the glue dries. I usually use a strap clamp for holding small box glueups with mitered corners.

Reply to
Mike S.

"Garry Collins" wrote

: I have a box that is 3" high and 20" long and the timber is 3/4" thick. The : ends are mitered at 45 and will be fixed with biscuits. What is the best : method of clamping the frame until the glue dries? Do I need mitered clamps : or will sash clamps work?

Prepare clamping battens whose cross-sections are a 90 - 45 - 45 triangle.

Temporarily glue these to the corners, then you can apply clamping pressure that operates at right-angles to the mating faces.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk Website

Jeff Gorman

Got a scrap of 3/4 material you can put screws in? If so, screw some 2

1/2" vertical stock to it about 4" larger than the box. You only need about 8" at the corners. Then wedge the corners with shims and shingle stock. You'll want to elevate the shims so they wedge in the center of the 3" height.

What the hey, keep the gluing table for future use.

Reply to
George

"George" wrote in news:40cd7c44$1 snipped-for-privacy@newspeer2.tds.net:

Blue masking tape, to pull the miters together, often helps quite a bit. The blue tape (3M), because the adhesive releases more easily from the surface.

Then you can use the clamps you have at hand to keep things square. The biscuits are going to be the main structural element. Don't overtighten, or you may end up having to redo everything. DAMHIKT.

I like the idea of the clamping frame.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

garry,I use a band clamp for small boxes.Set up bandclamp for approximate length, bend waxed cardboard into an ell shape. This prevents damage to miters and keeps the band from getting glued to the box.Place one piece of cardboard at each corner, glue up and tighten bandclamp at mid height. One or two hours in the clamp is enough. mike

Reply to
mike