Miters on Crown Molding, Etc...

Hey all:

New to the group, So I introduce myself.

Have a pretty old Late 1800's house. I want to install some crown molding in the den, but the walls are very uneven and ceiling is not very plumb as well.

Should I break up the crown with opp 45 degree cuts, every few feet so I can get it to fit better, or just force a whole length of crown in (about 12'). Also does anyone have a nitre index table for 45 degree crowns.

Need about 80 to 98 degrees as far as I can tell. Every corner is different, and as I could fudge things a bit I would like it to come out as close as possible.

Before I get shunned, I know I could google this, but thought I would ask the experts first.

TIA & best,

Freddie

Reply to
Freddie

would do it in solid lengths. Get three or so pieces of wood from the floor to the bottom of the crown to wedge it in . small gaps at the ceiling will not show if worst comes to worst .

Cope all inside corners that will solve the angle problem there and on the outside corners cut them a degee or so over 45 and caulk the inside of the corners if required..............

Reply to
mike hide

Hi Freddie,

I am working on some crown in our family room with cathederal ceiling & wierd angles. I found Wayne Drake's book at:

useful.

It might be worth a glance for your situation.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

it's a good thing you ceiling isn't plumb... : )

I'd probably hold the crown down from the ceiling a bit and run the pieces as long as possible, fairing out the wall as necessary to make the junction look right

Reply to
bridgerfafc

One way to go, is to use full-length mouldings which, when used together, build up to a crown. The smaller cross-sections conform easier to irregular walls. Some of the smaller composite mouldings like the coves are very flexible. Most of the crown mouldings for sale are copies of the old-style built-up stuff from yesteryear.

YMMV

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:56:54 -0400, Freddie scribed:

Thanks for the quick answers. I reckon I will go with long pieces, as has been so thoughtfully suggested. Found a good miter table on the De Walt site:

also a nifty crown miter calculator here:

the power of the net...

Thanks for the help gang!

Freddie

Reply to