mitering a picture frame

yabbut I don't have one of those. the list of _theoretical_ methods is long....
Bridger John:

Now waidaminute. You've got a Lion but no disk finisher?
Wow!
UA100, lover of all things motorized and abrasive and only needing a stroker to round out the group...

yeah, I see then belt/disk things from time to time and figure it would prolly come in handy. maybe someday I'll get one.
I _do_ have a real nice microscope. does that make up for it?
There are two critical items for good picture frames. One is the angle cut itself which is discussed in the other post. The other and equally important is the length of the sides. You can have a most precise angle cut but if the opposite side are not precisely equal you will get poor corners.
I cut the miter on the sides so they are about a quarter inch longer than I need for the picture. I them match the opposite sides and fasten them together with an inconspicuous nail or a good clamp.
I the carefully trim the paired side by an eight of an inch on each end.
Even with the above procedure if the piece slide during the final miter cuts, they will not be true and again bad corners.
CBlood59 wrote:

Check with your local Frame Shop, find out if they have a chopper, and have them miter them on the chopper. (not to be confused with a miter saw) these use knives instead of rotating blades, a much nicer edge, particularly on finished stock

"Swingman" wrote in message news:...

One thing I forgot to mention that it is so obvious that only a dummy could miss it, but always make your cuts with the same face up. Of course, neither you nor I would ever fail to do that, would we?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04