mitered through dovetail joints

I've done mitered top corners with finger/box joints, but how do you do that with dovetails? I want a dovetailed joint but an inlaid band on the top edge, so that needs to be mitered.
Thanks, Michael
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:39:09 -0600, Michael Losonsky

Same way as you do with box joints. The top half-pin gets cut normally, then trimmed to the mitre later. The uppermost tail doesn't have its top edge sawn at all, then you cut half of this (just to the mitre line) with a chisel, like cutting full-blind dovetails.
It's a useful joint - I use it quite often if I'm making a box with a visible top edge and decorative visible through dovetails.
I thought this would have been in Frid, but I can't find it.
--
Smert' spamionam

Thank you very much! Would it make sense to mitre the half-pin first and use that to mark the part of the tail you will mitre? I have searched for a drawing of how to do this but without luck
Andy Dingley wrote:

-- ******************************************* Michael Losonsky Professor, Graduate Studies Coordinator Department of Philosophy Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO 80523-1781 Voice: 970 491 6734 Fax: 970 491 4900 Email: snipped-for-privacy@lamar.colostate.edu Webpage: http://lamar.colostate.edu/~losonsky *******************************************
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:09:19 -0600, Michael Losonsky

I make one side of the dovetail, then mark off the other from it. But for the mitre on the top, I mark both mitres out separately from the corners of the board.
<snip>

I've seen Ian Kirby's writings on this, probably from a book of his, re- published somewhere. Possibly a series in Woodworker West...
There was also something in FWW, maybe 3-4 years ago. The back issue is hiding in the stacks right now.
But I haven't tried it yet...
Patriarch, so many projects...

There's a good article showing the method in the August 2001 issue of Fine Woodworking.
I have been recently working on a variant of the box in that article, made out of birdseye maple.
Cheers, Nate