Mitered Half-Laps

yes, I don't own the guide bushing I needed for the larger bit. The other large guide bushings that I do own were to tall and extended above my 1/2 mdf jig.

I'm sure there must be a way around sneaking up on it and would to hear of any working solutions. Thanks!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I don't own the appropriate guide bushing. Would love to hear any suggestions regarding the sneaking up other than "use an indexing pin". Where would you put an indexing pin?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I'd be tempted to add a hold-down clamp to the jig, align the piece to cut to your line (so the size of the bushing becomes irrelevant), clamp it in place, and go from there.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That would certaintly make things easier. You'd have to add a clamp at either end of the jig (remember I used both sides). Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Oh, I thought bushings came is sets of every reasonable size. For small parts, how about a stop on the back edge of the jig with a spacer equal to the radii of the bushing-bit? Align the stop block to the distance from the cut to be opposite end and add the spacer to push the work the proper distance (further) into the bit.

Or, perhaps for larger pieces, or where the opposite end isn't yet finished, marks on the jig placed radius(bushing)-radius(bit) apart. Clamp and have at it.

...just thinking. I really do like the jigs, though. Do you make them at one time and then cut in half?

Reply to
krw

If your material is thick enough you can use a dado clean-out bit to clean it up. It's just a short top bearing guided bit that can run against the sawn miter.

JP

Reply to
Mark Whittingham

I don't know about any of that stuff you wrote, because it's completely irrelevant to your baby bib at Disney allegory.

Show me one documented case of Disney grabbing some baby's bib and confiscating it and I'll apologize. Until then, I stand by my first assessment of the grandma baby bib "horror story" as bullshit. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes, they do come in sets. And, no, they do not contain every size bushing you will ever need. Aside from differing in diameter, they also differ in height. My larger diameter bushings are too tall (it would hit the stock).

pacer equal to the

You would need to be able to remove it when doing the opposite side and be able to put in a second one for the other half-lap. Remember the same jig is used twice. One for the 45 half-lap and one for the

90 half-lap.

Plus your solution would only work for short stock. My train table stock shown in the video was quite long.

This sounds a little better.

IMHO, I think 'we' are making to much of the "sneaking up" on it maneuver. There's nothing to it. This isn't brain surgery. :^)

I made them several years ago and I honestly don't remember. I would make them independently to make things easier (probably what I did).

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I had that problem when I got my dovetail jig, so I cut the sumbench down. I used the bandsaw and then the disc sander.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 23:41:28 -0500, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following:

Well, my posts are not intended to be that way. When you detect a whole lot of facetiousness in a post, consider it humor, eh?

No camera, and far too much crap in the shop to take pics of it. =:0

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not a bad solution. I would be tempted to do that, but I don't make mitered half laps often enough. They are fun to make though.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

It's all good. peace

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

First, you show me where I said it was confiscated. I left everything I posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh, please. How weak.

Ok, then, *you* tell me what will happen to Grandma or the parents or the baby.

*Something* must happen. After all, you've heard "horror stories."

I left everything you posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.

Reply to
-MIKE-

How weak? You put words in my mouth and then call me weak when I call you on it?

People have been asked to leave the park, people have been given legal notice to cease and desist. It does not make for a pleasant day. Those that have done it commercially have been taken to court.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hardly. You were in retreat mode because you knew it was bs.

Show me one documented case or one newspaper article about someone getting kicked out of Disney for wearing a homemade Disney character shirt and I'll apologize.

Until then, I call your following statements BS: "Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it." "People have been asked to leave the park,"

Your words, I didn't put anything "in your mouth."

Reply to
-MIKE-

My TRUE words. I don't give a crap what you think, I'm not going back a couple of years to do the research . It was published publicly in a couple of newspapers. Oh, it has come up in the Disney stores in the mall also.

But I will offer you this from Disney Corporate. Authorization of vigilantes.

Members and employees should assist the Company in protecting its copyrights, patents and trademarks. The Company has an extensive and valuable collection of copyrights, patents and trademarks. Substantial effort and money is expended to protect this valuable property from infringement. Any Cast Member or employee who knows or suspects that someone has infringed a copyright, patent or a trademark of the Company should advise the Corporate Legal Department.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

HI Brian,

Thanks for the posting. You have a great website. Are your videos on you tube?

Charlie

Reply to
jack-bench.com

Thanks Charlie! Yes, aside from being on my webpage they are also on Youtube. I have a Youtube channel.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

My Youtube channel is here:

GarageWoodworks