Mitered Half-Laps

Page 1 of 3
Just put this together:
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/video.php
Comments welcomed.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Informative and nicely done, liked the music too :)
Although I'ved used a router to clean up the bottom I've stopped doing so because I can do it with a four in hand file and/or a chisel faster and about as well.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/27/2010 6:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Agreed, informative and nicely done, Brian! Not too sure about the music, though... :)
Have never made one (yet), but now have a much better understanding of how to do it. Thanks!
Matt

Nice touch with the Jeopardy theme. Joint was well executed too. Joe G

Pretty cool Brian. Nicely done!
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

--------------------------------------------- Very clever; however, the Jeopardy Show might voice an objection unless you are willing to pay for the right to use their material.
"Sneaking up on it" doesn't do much for me.
Isn't "Tooling" is supposed to eliminate the need to sneak up on it?
Lew
On 3/27/10 2:35 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure they're reeeeeal concerned with that.
--

-MIKE-

Lew,
Would you consider using a jig to hold the work piece at 45 degrees, so you could cut the joint with a TS and a fence (like they often do for a lapped joint)? Once you got set up it seems like it would be very fast.
Bill

Are you serious?

You obviously have a better way to do it so I suggest you do it your way.

"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

--------------------------------- Unfortunately, I'm very serious. ----------------------------------

way. ---------------------------------------- You asked for comments, I made one.
It definitely was not made under the "vicous personal attack" category.
Not sure it be any better, but a couple of sleds (miter & std) with suitable stops would be easier, IMHO.
Lew

A combination of a condescending question and snide comment. Nothing constructive.

I wouldn't call it personal but attack fits.

Sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble following you. Do you have a video camera? I'd love to see this.
Or. How about a few pictures the old fashioned way.

I've heard many horror stores of companies going after anyone infringing upon their copyrights. Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it. ASCAP has gone after stores playing music in stores. You'd probably only get a cease and desist order if it is non-commercial, but I'd not use anyone's music or images unless they are in the public domain.
On 3/27/10 10:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bullshit.
That would be performance to an audience (customers) for commercial gain. They have whole division set up just to track down stores who don't pay the public performance fees. That's because there are thousands of stores playing music to millions of customers and it's been proven that the music makes them buy more=commercial gain.
They're not going to waste time and resources going after someone who uses they're outdated theme song as a parody in a video on an obscure website that gets a few hundred hits.
Even if it was on youtube, getting a million hits and he was generating ad revenue, it would probably fall under the under 30 seconds fair use rules.
--

-MIKE-

My wife does machine embroidery and has a collection of thousands of characters. She is also up on the latest problems with copyright infringement and knows all the stories, especially of Disney. They have been verified. I don't really give a crap what you believe, but there have even been court cases where anything commercial was involved.
You may even be unaware of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act but that does not mean it does not exist either. Steamboat Willy lives. Check the 1999 Eric Eldred filings that have been struck down. The Disney Empire depends on intellectual property and they defend it vigorously.
On 3/28/10 1:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't know about any of that stuff you wrote, because it's completely irrelevant to your baby bib at Disney allegory.
Show me one documented case of Disney grabbing some baby's bib and confiscating it and I'll apologize. Until then, I stand by my first assessment of the grandma baby bib "horror story" as bullshit. :-)
--

-MIKE-

First, you show me where I said it was confiscated. I left everything I posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.
On 3/28/10 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Oh, please. How weak.
Ok, then, *you* tell me what will happen to Grandma or the parents or the baby. *Something* must happen. After all, you've heard "horror stories."
I left everything you posted so you can re-read it. I'll wait.
--

-MIKE-

wrote

How weak? You put words in my mouth and then call me weak when I call you on it?
People have been asked to leave the park, people have been given legal notice to cease and desist. It does not make for a pleasant day. Those that have done it commercially have been taken to court.
On 3/29/10 4:48 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hardly. You were in retreat mode because you knew it was bs.

Show me one documented case or one newspaper article about someone getting kicked out of Disney for wearing a homemade Disney character shirt and I'll apologize.
Until then, I call your following statements BS: "Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it." "People have been asked to leave the park,"
Your words, I didn't put anything "in your mouth."
--

-MIKE-

My TRUE words. I don't give a crap what you think, I'm not going back a couple of years to do the research . It was published publicly in a couple of newspapers. Oh, it has come up in the Disney stores in the mall also.
But I will offer you this from Disney Corporate. Authorization of vigilantes.
http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/conduct_standards18.html Cast Members and employees should assist the Company in protecting its copyrights, patents and trademarks. The Company has an extensive and valuable collection of copyrights, patents and trademarks. Substantial effort and money is expended to protect this valuable property from infringement. Any Cast Member or employee who knows or suspects that someone has infringed a copyright, patent or a trademark of the Company should advise the Corporate Legal Department.