Miter slots?

Just inherited a Delta contractors saw and it needs a lot of work. I have gotten lots of tips here on how to remove rust and protect the table but I wonder how to remove rust from slots?
TIA Bob

Keep feeding in quarters. -- Erenie
If you do sandblast be very careful that you don't get any abrasive in the trunion bearings.
Phil
Wilson Lamb wrote:

Sand blasting a machined surface (particularly one that you want things to slide in) is a very bad idea. WD-40 and steel wool will do just fine.

CW wrote:

While I'll agree with you it's for a different reason. There are different grades and grits of sand blasting media and a glass bead does little to harm the *trueness* of the surface. The problem I have is it has a tendency to make the surface way more shiny than it should, opens every little pit and generally looks goofy when you're done. It's way better than naval jelly though. Never use naval jelly unless you're a putz and don't care.
Table slots can be cleaned with a Scotch Bright pad and some lubricant. I like the brown pads. These are usually sold for more industrial applications like cleaning restaurant griddles.
The maroon wheels with the 1/4" mandrel sold in most any DIY/hardware store are pretty much indispensable. There's a *pitcher* of my set up here.
http://www.owwm.com/FAQ/Restoration.asp
UA100
Bob wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Fri, Jul 11, 2003, 5:44am (EDT-1) From: snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net (TheMays) Just inherited a Delta contractors saw and it needs a lot of work. I have gotten lots of tips here on how to remove rust and protect the table but I wonder how to remove rust from slots? TIA Bob ****************************************************** What happened to good old "elbow grease"? Just take a rectangular stick, some abrasive paper, perhaps a little oil and go to it. You could have the job done in a little more time than it took to write your post and read the responses. Peace ~Sir Edgar.
I'll go a piece of wood say 6x6x3/4 ", some oil and some pumice. Lap by running the stick up and down the oil and pumiced groove until smooth.
NB - Smooth rust is equal to smooth bright metal in all but cosmetics....
(The Mays) Just inherited a Delta contractors saw and it needs a lot of work. I have gotten lots of tips here on how to remove rust and protect the table but I wonder how to remove rust from slots? TIA Bob ****************************************************** What happened to good old "elbow grease"? Just take a rectangular stick, some abrasive paper, perhaps a little oil and go to it. You could have the job done in a little more time than it took to write your post and read the responses. Peace ~Sir Edgar.
Try Naval Jelly