Miter Saws with Balls

I'm sort of leaning towards having a few different chop saws in my shop, but they need to be dead accurate and have sufficient cross cut capabilities to handle 12" to 14" wide stock. What I'm thinking of is

3 or 4 dedicated 20" chop saws and then another adjustable one. Set one to 90, one to 45 and then have another to adjust to the odd angles. Anyone out there doing this? I just don't trust the RAS/SCMS to hold its accuracy when you move it around from angle to angle all the time. Anyone got a line on 20" chop saws for cheap?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Have a look at these guys. Their RAS's are dead accurate; changing angles without losing accuracy is no problem.

link is for a 14" saw. They also make 12", 16", and 20" saws.

Reply to
mp

I'm not sure if they have a 20" saw but if you want a saw with the biggest balls you'll want a Pistorius.

Unisaw A100

Its hard to see how such a huge blade could be very accurate, a Ryobi 14" I've used flexes around too much. There's a 10", brand name Omga, that is the most dead accurate I've ever used. It's so heavily made that it's not portable. Only place I know of where they're available is a laminate supplier called E.K.D. Kinast in Northlake, IL.

Reply to
BUB 209

An approach you might consider is to buy one fairly decent 10" RAS. It will provide the width capacity you want. Get it set dead on at 90 degrees and leave it there. To cut angles use a swinging fence. Scribe your fence angles out on the table about 12" or so from the pivot. At 12 inches the spacing between each degree mark will be nearly a quarter of an inch. I use my RAS in this manner and it works for me YMMV. Earl Creel

Reply to
Earl Creel

The July Fine Homebuilding has a good comparison article on 12" CMSs.

Delta didn't fare too badly.

RB

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
RB

If you can find and old Dewalt or Wallace radial arm saw it will meet your needs. I have an old Wallace 10", gear drive. They cut as deep as most

1" saws, 28" cut across the table and dead > I'm sort of leaning towards having a few different chop saws in my
Reply to
Jon Dough