miter saws

any experiences with DeWalt DW708 12 inch double-bevel sliding compound miter saw or Bosch 4412 12 inch sliding compound miter saw I'm considering buying one

Reply to
TheKGBSr

Yes, The dewalt. Itsa beast. but solid. Set up is not bad. Probably far superior to the Bosch (of course most would argue matter of opinion). Probably the hardest thing to deal with is the alignment of fences. Had one at school. It took a beating and kept on cutting with pretty good accuracy. Making a compound cut is not the easiest due in part to the large head and blade guard (although they have seemed to make some minor changes in the guard recently), issues most SCMS have. However as I said it is solid, perfecting the angle is a matter of screws, and if you plan on giving it its own station for stationary use is seems to be the best money can buy. If I were you I would drop the idea of a bosch and compare it with a Makita which would be closer to the equivalent competition.

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Young Carpenter states, sorta:

Well, you did say, "probably." I prefer the Bosch, but I'm talking about the new models, not the older ones with the Rube Goldberg guards that made blade changes a PITA.

You need to at least try the new Bosch 4412. Controls up front, the handle changes from vertical to horizontal, very easy to set up.

So's the 4412.

You're actually describing 3 of the 4 best in a genre that has another couple that are just plain damned good.

The only problem anyone is apt to have with the Bosch 4412 is the price. It IS pricey. But none of the other 12" dual compounds are low end tools, either.

Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

Charlie Self

I've been using the Dewalt 708 for several years. It's heavy enough to be stretching the definition of a portable power tool but it is also rugged and holds it's settings well.

It's plenty accurate throughout it's cutting range.

I use mine with a sawhelper fence and flipstops and highly recommend them.

J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

I used the word Probably due to the fact I haven't actually examined a Bosch, I just know that for a While bosch saws were viewed at the bottom of the totem pole. I just gave the DeWalt version since I have had several hours cutting time on the thing and have had several hours on Makita's, Hitachi's, and Craftsman, delta (not all SCMS though) and know which features I enjoyed. and it was always the DeWalt that won. although handle changing is nice it still doesn't solve the problem of trying to hold/adjust the piece. Pretty much I agree with you. Most SCMS are pricey but worth the price if you buy for quality. After reading your review I revise my advise and suggest comparing the Bosch and DeWalt with a Makita. Each one seems to be developed for a slightly different person in mind.

Reply to
Young_carpenter