Miter saw Stand

Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand (Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself? FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! :)I did get in some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

P.S. Sorry my words run together onsome of my posts... Its from writing in html andposting in text. I need a better solution.

Reply to
Bill

That depends, my personal feelings on these type of stands is that they server the contractor better than a woodworker. But if you are just using it for home repair then it probably fits the bill (no pun intended)... But if you plan to gravitate to furniture, etc.. then the drawbacks I see are repeatabliity (acurately) Will you actually set it up. I picked up a kitchen cabinet from a neighbor, built wings and mounted it. I don't have long wings, like that in your setup. But I can comfortably put an eight foot board on by adding my roller or ball bearing supports. My wings give me 43 inches left and right of the blade.

It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf, mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.

See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up buying twice.

Reply to
woodchucker

A couple of thoughts, Bill. I don't know anything about that unit, but if you want to buy rather than build keep an eye on CL for a few days and one is likely to come up. I built my own pretty quickly using two-bys and lami nated MDF. I've got two 15" by 4' tables with a center recess that brings t he chop saw table coplanar with the table tops. I used angle iron on the c enter ends of each table and mounted my chop saw to another piece of MDF. That keeps the chop saw portable. I also mounted a long t-track on one of the tables with a stop block for multiple cuts to the same length.

Good luck,

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here - sturdy is all that counts.

Reply to
HeyBub

Looks good but If I were to do it all over again I would with and about $70~$100 more . Seems a bit more versatile.

Sold here too,

Leon

None of the 2by material I bring home lies in a plane! :)

Not gonna set a piece of plywood across 2 wavy 2by4s, no not gonna do it! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Leon, first a festooly, and now a rep for HTC???

How much do you make pushing tools Leon...

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks for mentioned that. I didn't even think of a fence.

I could not find any reviews. The one that Leon posted a link to looks a little nicer ($70 more). The one Leon provided a link to is steel at 75 pounds, the former is alluminum at 52 pounds.

Thank you for all of the comments (from everyone who has replied). They have already been helpful!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

As others have said - you don't need a jointer to make your own. Here's some -plans in case you do make your own. Art

Artemus

If you have a good fence, and a secure design, and a good blade, can this tool be expected to work to furniture-level tolerences? FWIW, I bought an LED for the miter saw.

So far, I'm finding furniture-level tolerences to be a pain, and I've barely started! :)

Anyone besides Leon familial with this beast (I see it is "Handy Man Member Tested and Recommended"!).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand (Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself? FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! :)I did get in some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.

The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table". ====================================================================================== I have my miter saw on a portable stand so I can take it were the work is. It also has the added advantage that it can be collapsed and stood against a wall. I have seen the permanent stands that people make and they are great for shop use but portable they aren't. . I have been working with wood, off and on, for over 40 years and have never had the need for a jointer so if you feel the need to build something, the lack of a jointer is not a problem.

Reply to
CW

I was thinking about what you said--"repeatability". Now I get it.

This stand did was Not particularly well-received by the reviewing public! I like the concept though.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Woodcraft sells the unit.

Here is a good and a bad review. Either way IIRC it las a life time warranty.

Leon

And

Leon

Mine sits on a dropped section of my wall cabinet so that the saw table is level with the rest of the cabinet. Also has a dust extractor hose attached and a wall mounted spotlight on the cutting area. I don't do house calls or construction work.

Reply to
G. Ross

I've got this on my list for my 12"bosch

or

ChairMan

Wall cabinet is a poor choice of words. It is a table/cabinet which is attached to the wall.

Reply to
G. Ross

Impressive that it even supports a router table:

FWIW, the Portamate unit has a 1 year warranty, but the Menards Masterforce unit has a lifetime warranty. However, the former is steel and the latter aluminum.

Many of you may recall that I can't cut most man-made materials, due to Formaldehyde-related allergies. Thus I'm restricted to building with Purebond plywood (which, except for C-3 plywood, is inconvenient to get) and wood, and all of my decisions are made in that context. I can't just grab a sheet of MDF because it's appropriate.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hmm.. At Amazon is says 1 year warranty. At Woodcraft it says lifetime warranty. Not sure it makes any difference yet. Thanks!

Reply to
Bill