Miter saw Stand

Page 1 of 2
Do you think this (see link below) is a reasonable miter saw stand (Masterforce MX124),or should I insist on crafting something myself? FWIW, I collected anew Delta DW713saw, so far untested! :)I did get in some shop time this weekend, but on an unrelated repair.
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm
The main issueI see with making my own is my lack of a jointer. Another option is to mount the saw on a table (or saw horses) and use a roller stand (I've seen pictures of that being done, but it looksrisky). It's not like I'm planning to build a deck or anythinglike that--more like, "clamp stand" and "plant table".
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

P.S. Sorry my words run together onsome of my posts... Its from writing in html andposting in text. I need a better solution.
On 3/17/2013 6:23 PM, Bill wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

That depends, my personal feelings on these type of stands is that they server the contractor better than a woodworker. But if you are just using it for home repair then it probably fits the bill (no pun intended)... But if you plan to gravitate to furniture, etc.. then the drawbacks I see are repeatabliity (acurately) Will you actually set it up. I picked up a kitchen cabinet from a neighbor, built wings and mounted it. I don't have long wings, like that in your setup. But I can comfortably put an eight foot board on by adding my roller or ball bearing supports. My wings give me 43 inches left and right of the blade.
It's good price. BTW you don't need a jointer to make one. use mdf, mdo, baltic birch, or cab grade ply. if you don't have a TS yet, route your dados. The most imporant dados are the fence. the support can be more crude, it just has to keep the fence from deflecting.
See if you can find reviews.. if you are purchasing that. Don't wind up buying twice.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Thanks for mentioned that. I didn't even think of a fence.

I could not find any reviews. The one that Leon posted a link to looks a little nicer ($70 more). The one Leon provided a link to is steel at 75 pounds, the former is alluminum at 52 pounds.
Thank you for all of the comments (from everyone who has replied). They have already been helpful!
Bill

I've got this on my list for my 12"bosch <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/cw4bnqr

I traded this:
http://e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop7.jpg
For this:
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gvarvrc56i4/TuTkG4GXAMI/AAAAAAAAJTE/1akmkUlWbmw/s2048/2011-05-04_19-28-08_669.jpg
Although it has served me well, both in the shop and onsite,I would probably spring for this today:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
I much prefer a portable stand, like the above over the first, shop built, one.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

woodchucker wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

If you have a good fence, and a secure design, and a good blade, can this tool be expected to work to furniture-level tolerences? FWIW, I bought an LED for the miter saw.
So far, I'm finding furniture-level tolerences to be a pain, and I've barely started! :)
Anyone besides Leon familial with this beast (I see it is "Handy Man Member Tested and Recommended"!).
http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html
Bill
Bill wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

I was thinking about what you said--"repeatability". Now I get it.

This stand did was Not particularly well-received by the reviewing public! I like the concept though.
Bill
On 3/17/2013 7:33 PM, Bill wrote:

Woodcraft sells the unit.
Here is a good and a bad review. Either way IIRC it las a life time warranty.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2006163/23424/portamate-miter-saw-stand-pm7000.aspx#ProdInformationTab
And
Leon wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2006163/23424/portamate-miter-saw-stand-pm7000.aspx#ProdInformationTab

Hmm.. At Amazon is says 1 year warranty. At Woodcraft it says lifetime warranty. Not sure it makes any difference yet. Thanks!
Leon wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2006163/23424/portamate-miter-saw-stand-pm7000.aspx#ProdInformationTab

Impressive that it even supports a router table: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2006163/40046/portamate-router-table-pm7010.aspx
FWIW, the Portamate unit has a 1 year warranty, but the Menards Masterforce unit has a lifetime warranty. However, the former is steel and the latter aluminum.
Many of you may recall that I can't cut most man-made materials, due to Formaldehyde-related allergies. Thus I'm restricted to building with Purebond plywood (which, except for C-3 plywood, is inconvenient to get) and wood, and all of my decisions are made in that context. I can't just grab a sheet of MDF because it's appropriate.
Bill

IMHO, being made of aluminum is an advantage: if you're not going to move the saw around, you don't need a portable stand -- and if you *do* need a portable stand, you *want* it to be aluminum.
I've been using a DeWalt DW723 portable stand for my 10" miter saw for about 8 years now. It's made of aluminum, and it's (a) plenty sturdy, and (b) heavy enough as it is. I'm really, really glad it's *not* steel.
On Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:23:04 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

rforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

A couple of thoughts, Bill. I don't know anything about that unit, but if you want to buy rather than build keep an eye on CL for a few days and one is likely to come up. I built my own pretty quickly using two-bys and lami nated MDF. I've got two 15" by 4' tables with a center recess that brings t he chop saw table coplanar with the table tops. I used angle iron on the c enter ends of each table and mounted my chop saw to another piece of MDF. That keeps the chop saw portable. I also mounted a long t-track on one of the tables with a stop block for multiple cuts to the same length.
Good luck,
Larry
Bill wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

A jointer for a tool stand? You're not making a future heirloom here - sturdy is all that counts.
HeyBub wrote:

None of the 2by material I bring home lies in a plane! :)
Not gonna set a piece of plywood across 2 wavy 2by4s, no not gonna do it! : )
Bill
On 3/17/2013 7:58 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill, I have a wood rack. I built it to hold my hardwoods. What I found is that I can clamp 2 x 4's to the supports all in (plane) and leave them there for a few months. This brings them to equilibrium, but due to my setting them with clamps seems to keep them very straight. I realize that they might be held in stress, but so far each one that I have either ripped or crosscut has stayed that way.
So 2x can be used, you just need patience.
Not saying you could use for furniture, but you could use for other purposes. Pick nice straight stuff to begin with, also look for clean wood. Spruce has lots of knots, doug fir can be found clean.
--
Jeff

On 3/17/2013 5:23 PM, Bill wrote:

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

Looks good but If I were to do it all over again I would with and about $70~$100 more . Seems a bit more versatile.
http://www.htcproductsinc.com/mswc.html
Sold here too,
(Amazon.com product link shortened)63563817&sr=8-1&keywords=pm7000&condition=new
On 3/17/2013 7:47 PM, Leon wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)63563817&sr=8-1&keywords=pm7000&condition=new

Leon, first a festooly, and now a rep for HTC???
How much do you make pushing tools Leon...
--
Jeff

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/work-support/masterforce-universal-miter-saw-work-station/p-1846173-c-10164.htm

As others have said - you don't need a jointer to make your own. Here's some -plans in case you do make your own. Art
http://toolmonger.com/2007/04/23/norms-kick-ass-new-yankee-chop-saw-table/
http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02/10-free-miter-saw-stand-plans-9-pictorial-idea-guides-2-videos-6-paid-plans-and-more