miter saw -- delta / dewalt to replace ridgid

I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312 model, I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am leaning towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to comment on either ?
When I bought the Dewalt 705S they were giving away a nice solid 3/8 drill with it (worth $50-60) Since my 25+ year old B&D was about worn out, I got the Dewalt. It is a great saw. No complaints at all.

I don't have experience with these particular saws, but I did have a Delta Shopmaster 10" single-compound dual miter saw. It was about $140, IIRC, and it was surprisingly capable for it's price. That said, it left some things to be desired and so I sold it (along with the custom built stand I made for it). Now I have the 12" dual-bevel, dual-miter compound miter saw from DeWalt. It is a dream to use and by far the best miter saw I've ever used (#4 at this point). It was (and still is, I believe) $349 with free shipping at www.northwestpowertools.com At the time I got it, it came with a 6" DeWalt random orbital sander, which I haven't even used, honestly. Even without it, I think it is well worth the price.
Mike

I was just looking at www.northwestpowertools.com again and saw that the DeWalt 705s is $299 and has free shipping AND that nice little DeWalt shop vacuum. I've actually hooked up a similar craftsman shop vacuum to the 12" DeWalt I mentioned in my other post and have it triggered to turn on when the saw is in use. It definitely doesn't get all the dust, but it is surprisingly effective in helping reduce it. Anyway, just another bit of info for you.
Mike

Just curious - why are you getting rid of your Ridgid??

because alinging it is a PIA
The saw works fine, I have had it for 3 years and used it for all sorts of heavy and light stuff around the house -- but getting it zero'ed in sucks. To align it you have to flip it over and work it from the bottom. Both the delta and the dewalt allow you to set the alignment by adjusting the angle guage on the top of the saw, once you have set it to 0 (hope this makes sense)

eric wrote:

I did some shopping for a compound miter a couple of years ago, I decided on the 12" Porter-Cable 3802 compound miter.
I didn't like the indexing systems on most saws, screwing or inserting a pin in a cast V or hole wasn't my idea of accuracy. The P-C and DeWalt had the same type of index system. The DeWalts index plate was somewhat thin.
This weakness was illustrated at HD. They're display unit had something dropped on it mangling the plate. I didn't see any sharp gouges in the plate so I don't think a block of steel was dropped on it.
I see DW has since added a lip to the index plate making it stronger and less susceptible to this type of damage.
I have used the P-C to cut up to 4x6 and used it to build a 320 sq. ft deck, it doesn't seem to have suffered.
I need to align it because I bounced the fence with the extension against a wall (pretty hard). The 6 main fence fasteners are in the open and able to be turned with the saw blade wrench. Two of the the 4 aux fences fasteners are also workable with the blade wrench, the other two require a box or open end wrench. All can be accessed without lifting the saw. The 6 index plate fasteners have to be accessed from underneath.
I have no idea how difficult aligning the saw will be, if I write it appears easy it will , of course, be a bitc .... be difficult.

Mark

N.E. Ohio
I got the Delta and I like it except for one problem -- the turn table is a few thousandths of an inch higher than the rest of the table. I set the extension wing at the same height as the turn table and haven't noticed any errors in my work because of it. However, I may not be good enough for it to matter.
When considering cost, make sure you factor in a new blade. You will need that with either saw.
Mark

I figured that also, but was pleasantly surprised with the DeWalt blade. I'm sure there are better blades on the market, but this one is just fine until it needs sharpening and I may consider one at that point. Ed

DeWalt 60 series blades have gotten excellent write-ups in several magazines.
Barry

Look for refurbs on the 'net.
You can often find $500-600 saws for $300 as factory refurbished.
Barry
I also had a Delta and considered all makes as a replacement. Looked at the Dewalt but I chose the Bosch slide 10" instead. I have purchased 2 other Bosch tools since then. Several other choices but Dewalt & Bosch seem to dominate in this area.
Daniel
message

Buy a Bosch or Milwaukee. You won't be disappointed.