Miter saw capabilities

I want to buy a miter saw that at minimum, will cut 4x4s at a 45degree angle. If it does this I assume it can cut a 2x6 at 45degrees too. What is the least amount I can pay (approx.) to get a saw that can do this? I've seen plenty of compound miter saws ranging from $80 to $150 (my price range) but I don't think these can cut 45degress on wide lumber.
Thanks for any advice.
Paul
"D'Olier"writes:

Don't know the answers to your specific questions, but when I ask about miter saws for my application, names like Hitachi are heard.
About $150, last time I checked.
--
Lew

Hitachi is the best in my opinion.
Phil
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I think you will have to be looking at a 12" saw minimum. Take a sample of your 4x4 and set it on all the saws that you will be interested in and see of they have the capacity. Look for used or raise your budget.

My $99 harbor freight 10" compound draw saw will cut a 4x6 at 45 deg on a vertical cut. It wont do it on a 45 deg off horizontal (45 and 45 compound). It comes with a 66 tooth blade that isn't bad.
William T Bartlett wrote:

When you say "draw saw", is that the same as a slider?
If so any other comments on that saw? I've been considering a cheap sliding mitersaw...don't really care about compound but would like the capacity of a slider: I'd like to be able to crosscut up to 12" in 3/4 boards...does this one have the capacity? Any comments on the accuracy or quality?
************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
D'Olier wrote:

The 10" Delta 36-240 SCMS will do a 4x12 @ 90 degrees & a 4x8 @45 degrees. But now you're into the $400 range. I have the 36-250 (same saw but with a stand) & love it.
Scott
up later, the damage remains.
Pretty much all the saws give this info in the specifications. I think you may need a rail miter saw, one that pulls out and plunges. Sort of like a radial arm saw. That being said, the rails saws (I think they go by another name that escapes me) are typicially higher priced.
Two ideas. One, look at www.toolking.com. Good selection and specs. Second, do like lots of us do and save some money and buy a used radial arm saw. Yeah, they are dangerous as hell and lots o' guys try to get top dollar for them, but look around and you can always find one that some one is offing for $75.
I do know that Hitachi is good but Bosch has an even better reputation for accuracy and I think they are priced well also.

You're going to have to go with a 12", but it doesn't have to be a slider (which are mucho dinero).
I had a 10" Delta miter which was always coming up a bit short when I was building the deck. Switched to a 12" compound miter (non-slider) and it handled everything I threw at it. Somewhere around 8"+ 2x's you may have to tilt the wood slightly to finish the cut.
Unless you can find one in a pawn shop or reconditioned or closeout, a 12" is probably gonna cost more tha 150 tho.
Renata

Save your money up get a dewalt 12" double bevel at tool king