Miter on Crown Molding, 70 degree??????

I have a crown molding cut to make that I just can't figure out how to make. It's a 140 degree left hand right hand. So the miter saw has to be set to 70 degrees. How do I cut this with a miter saw that only handles 50 degrees at most. The crown is a 6" 45* spring angle. I have no problem with crown that is 50* or less but just can't figure out how to make this cut!
Thanks, Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Either make the cut manually or make a backer for the saw at an angle such that the needed cut is within the range of the saw. For large moulding, unless you have a large sliding-head saw you may not be able to use it.
If the backer you make is 30deg (convenient becuase of large prefab triangles to set the angle), then the remaining cut would be 40....
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm, that sounds like an alternative. I just hope I can fit it on my saw. I'm thinking or wondering if a cope cut would be possible at that angle? Maybe it's time to visit the book store or library. Think I'll check out Home Depots self help area this weekend.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

this is an inside corner? those should always be coped.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I never cope crown molding inside corners, never. I always miter them. I do cope base board molding though. The fit is much better on crown when it's mitered.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Hi Rich,
That's funny (to me). I do exactly the opposite. Cope the crown, miter the base.
Probably should cope both.
Trying to develop more patience as I go.
In the middle of all of that right now.
Lou
Lou:
When I trim out a house, I always, no exceptions, cope inside corners of crown.
With flat moldings, I cope if I have to, but occasionally get lucky on one or two joints in a room and don't have to cope every one.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I use a special jig with crown, it sets the spring angle and I only cut from the left side of the miter saw. No moving the miter saw back and forth. The jig is called CutNcrown. I measure the wall length and it comes out perfect every time. http://www.cutncrown.com/ Takes have the time and I never get any waste from a screw up.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

70* angle inside left inside right __________________ / / <------ This wall angle is 140* / more than is shown. | its a fireplace wall | |__________________ Rich
"you can lead them to LINUX but you can't make them THINK"
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:05:51 GMT, evodawg

A cut that requires 70 degrees on each inside angle would make the room look more like the angle on the end of a sharp pencil than what you have drawn here. Is it possible that you are reading the angle finder incorrectly or that it only has one scale? Some angle finders only have one scale and you have to subtract 140 from 180 to get 40 degrees then divide that in half and you have two 20 degree cuts which is much closer to what you have drawn. If I was guessing, I'd say it's probably 22 1/2 degrees.
Mike O.