Miter Guage

Page 2 of 2
On 3/13/2012 11:13 PM, Bill wrote:

The Incra fences, at least my 1000HD came with t-bolts to attach a sacrificial fence to the fence and the stop can be repositioned forward to accommodate a 3/4"thick sacrificial fence. The sacrificial fence can be easily and quickly adjusted. I use my gauge on both sides of the blade, right side for squaring the ends of long stock so the sacrificial fence gets slid and used in both directions.
I had a 12" Delta CMS, still do and I had a miter saw station set up until I upgraded to a cabinet saw and added the Dubby sleds 12 years ago. The TS literally replaced the CMS, I have not used the CMS in years.
I used the Dubby sleds exclusively for cross cutting work to length, I still used the Kreg miter gauge to square stock ends. Since getting the Incra 1000HD about a year ago I seldom use the Dubby sleds any more. The sleds still work great but the Incra miter gauge delivers accurate cuts.
Leon wrote:

You focussed right in on what was bothering me. I could not see how to use a sled or sacrificial board and take advantage of the "precision stops" that are an integral part of the product.
Of course, if one reads 130 reviews, the most common complaint, among those that complain, is the accuracy for length rather than angular measurement.
My thanks to everyone who has or is contributing to this thread. I have found every post thought-provoking and helpful.
Bill
The sacrificial fence can

On 3/14/2012 1:57 PM, Bill wrote:

Length accuracy is a strong point with the Incra, it took me a while to understand how to quickly recalibrate the miter gauge stop and fence after moving it from one side of the blade to the other. I use the gauge on the right side of the blade to take advantage of the long table on my saw to square the ends of stock. I use the gauge on the left side for cutting to length. When going back to the left side you have to recalibrate the fence, recalibration takes about 10 seconds or however long it would take you to position the stop on "zero" and slide the fence and stop up to the blade and tighten two bolts.

Depends on the material, and on the blade -- but for cutting close-grained woods such as maple or cherry, using a sharp, clean, high-quality blade (e.g. Ridge Carbide or Forrest), I've found that to be unnecessary.
For highly figured wood, or open-grained woods such as ash or oak, I usually do use a backer board.
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:43:50 -0400, Bill wrote:

I bought the Incra V120. No fence, but that's an easy add on. And it's not overly expensive. See:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ B001RCTTG6>

Bill wrote:

I had an Incra 1000, that I bought on Ebay. Turns out it was warped. Called Incra, told them what I had and where I got it. They replaced it AND gave my my choice of a 1000, 1000SE or a 2000. In talking to the rep, I chose the 1000SE, primarily based on his recommendation. Very glad I did - one fanstastic miter gauuge, from an awesome company.
Deb
On 3/13/2012 2:43 PM, Bill wrote:

I bought the low-end Incra on sale a few months ago and added an 18 inch Kreg t-slot bar. Slots on top and bottom. Needed a tad of tweaking to get it square to the blade, but very adjustable. Used that Kreg bar on my sled as well and am pleased with my crosscutting options.
Beats the heck out of my standard Delta, which hasn't been quite the same since it decided to take a dive on the floor.
Larry
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

+1
Bill wrote:

I have an older Grizzly 3HP, 220v. The included miter gauge head is cast iron, bar is steel. You couldn't get to 1/2 a degree with it but It is perfectly usesable for 99.9% of what most people would be doing. IOW, not junk.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

The bar can be either plain or "T" via a removeable washer. It has built in stops at 45 degrees L&R. The 90 degree stop is adjustable via a set screw against a drop down piece of steel, NP getting it at precisely 90 degrees.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"Jim Weisgram" wrote:

Bill spend money?
Surely you jest.
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I was starting to wonder where you were. Good to see you! Neither a lender nor a lender be?
Believe me "it" flows, you can see it from under that Arco sign! : )
Bill

Bill wrote:

Oops, that was a typo: "Neither a borrower nor a lender be." That's was I get for looking the quote up while I type it.

On 3/13/2012 2:43 PM, Bill wrote:

It is a seldom used item once you have made a sled and/or own some type of miter saw. I wouldn't waste any time or money on one.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
DanG wrote:

That sounds like a good way to start.
On 3/15/2012 1:35 AM, Bill wrote:

It is if you only want to make 90 degree cuts. For mitered cuts you want to go with an Incra miter gauge or if you prefer the sled, get something like the Dubby,
http://www.in-lineindustries.com /
On 3/15/2012 12:37 AM, DanG wrote:

I have a miter saw and Dubby miter sleds, left and right sides. I pretty much use the Incra 1000HD exclusively now. I use the sleds 10+ years and then I got the Incra which is more convenient and just as accurate.