Miter gauges

Are any of you experienced with the different miter gauges out there? I am looking at purchasing one but I'm not too sure which one. My local store handles the Incra and the Osborne. Any information is appreciated. Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

I have several, but my favorite that I always reach for is the Incra

1000SE. This thing will break a degree into 10 parts. I recently built a circular object made of 16 staves cut at a compound taper and didn't have any sign of a crack. Like all Incra miters, they have to be setup correctly.

Donald

Reply to
Donald Phillips

I have a Incra 2000 and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I had/have an Osborne, it's their first model and I didn't think it was stiff enough, there was quite a bit of give when I tried to cut miters. I believe the new ones are a lot better. That being said I'd still go for the Incra.

Reply to
RPRESHONG

I have the Osborne EB3. I love it. I don't know how I got along with out it.

Its very easy to calibrate and has all of the essential positive stops built in. Worth every penny I paid for it and I would buy it again.

Reply to
stoutman

Check out the video they have online.

Reply to
stoutman

I have an Incra 1000SE, I have also used a Woodhaven extensively. In hindsight, I should have bought the 90/45 degree Woodhaven for half the price. The Incra's nice, but I find it over complicated. Keep in mind that Incra's stop does not flip out of the way.

Also check out a "Dubby".

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I had the Osborne EB-3 (their newest model) and it was pretty good. I felt it still had a lot of flex when doing long crosscuts (i.e. greater than about 30" or so) and so I sold it (to a fellow wrecker, btw) and bought the JDS Accumiter. This miter gauge is exactly what I was looking for. It is stout and heavy and has no play at all. The miter detents are extremely accurate, and setting up the thing was a piece of cake. Setting up the Osborne wasn't hard, either, but I just like this gauge's approach better. I went with the 36" telescoping fence vs. the 48" model (I've decided to use a crosscut sled for anything longer than 3'). It's a bit more expensive than the Osborne, but it is by far a better gauge, IMO.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Woodhaven Deluxe ... far fewer $$ and better accuracy than some highly touted miter gauges. Consistently rated high and "excellent" for accuracy in reviews. Would buy it again.

Reply to
Swingman

I'll second Mike on the Accu-Miter. I've had mine for about four years and love it. Very accurate, easy to change angles and returns to 90 degrees every time. Also, the bar doesn't need any adjustable screws in it. It fits the slot in my Unisaw perfectly, no play at all. The only negative thing I would say about it is, it's heavy, but that is a small price to pay for the ease of use and accuracy.

Reply to
Phil Anderson