Miter Gauge purchased

As a follow up to my questions and the many answers as to "Now which miter gauge"? I bought one. It was a hard decision that did not come quickly.

After many e-mail exchanges with Woodhaven and Incra I finally bought the Incra 1000HD, on sale at Rockler for $169.

So far just handling and making the adjustments it seems to be several steps above my old Kreg. It is indeed easy to switch from the left side to the right side even with the telescoping fence extension.

So thank you all for the suggestions and recommendations and a special thanks to Edward Hennessey for the in shop experimenting and data gathering to answer my questions. I thank you and I am sure Incra thanks you. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, the 1000HD is a fine miter guage. It's very. The 1000HD was a little large and heavy for my contractor's saw table top. When pulled all the way back to accomodate a variety of board width's the weight of the protractor head would tip off the saw. Figured it would get to be a pain so I bought the lighter Kreg miter guage coincidentally enough. It works fine for my purposes, but if I ever get that cabinet saw I want, an Incra miter gauge is out there waiting for me to snap it up.

Reply to
Dave

Damn ... Laguna, Festool, Incra. You're going to be hard to put up with, Bubba!

I best up my text message allowance ...

:)

Reply to
Swingman

Mine has the forward T-slot fitting that keeps the miter gauge from falling off. For some reason with the long guide bar on the Kreg I never got around to putting the keeper on. Not sure why, I did think about it a time or two. I found that the Kreg would tip once off the front of the TS surface, I believe they all will to some extent if you are not taking advantage of the t-slot. The 1000HD will tilt left or right with out the support of the fence but not fall off.

I did not find the 1000HD large, marginally larger than the Kreg I have but the 3000 series is another story. I think that perhaps with even the smallest of stock that the rear of the gauge might be hanging off the front of the TS as the wood hits the blade. ;~) That might be an exaggeration but not much. That is why I ultimately chose the 1000HD. I plan to purchase the 27"-48" telescoping fence also how that I have found that removing the fence and reinstalling the fence is a quick smooth task, I thought the Kreg was going to be very hard to beat in that respect, I was wrong.

I might warn you something to watch out for on the Kreg, I never encountered the situation/problem during the 6 or years that I use mine, but now I am in a new shop and the summer sun light is just now starting to have a quick warming effect on the TS and every thin that sets on top of it. If the gauge gets hot from setting in direct sun light the brass pin might seize. Kreg support did agree that the brass would expand quite a bit if the temperature changed very much. They were at a loss to explain the drastic and fast result. Letting things acclimate shoule solve the situation, but I was in a hurry and then determined to get the pin out and that damaged the gauge.

Reply to
Leon

Hey you have the Woodhaven miter gauge, "Multirouter", FESTOOL, and enough drawers to make you go cross eyed if you tried to count them all. I'm jealous.

I take your recomendations seriousely and it was going to be either the Woodhaven or the Incra. I had better gut feelings about the Woodhaven because it is so much like the Kreg that I had chose but the $250 price tag sorta made me consider other brands. I actually did not like the Incras for some unsupported reason, just a bad gut feeling I guess. I will say however the 1000HD series is sort'a new according to Incra and it has a few enhancements over several of the other miter gauges.

I have been mysteriously considering dropping the texting from my phone, you and Bryan are the only two people I text or get text's from.

IIRC you can text me and it can/will come in as an e-mail if you choose that method of delivery.

Reply to
Leon

Unfortunately, I've benn forced to rely on texting for a myriad of reasons. Some clients don't check their email, but will answer texts immediately, along with wife and daughter.

I gotten used to using 'Note Everything' to text Linda the grocery list, pet store list, etc, and if she's in a lesson she will text before she will answer a phone call.

Out to spray shellac for the rest of the day ... have five cabinets that need at least three coats each.

Reply to
Swingman

I didn't know Leon's last name was JONES. Why are you keeping up with him?

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't get a DUI while driving home, eh?

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

He will R D be there. Doing his shop.

Reply to
Leon

Not to worry. Just fell back in the house ... first coat on the big piece of reclaimed cabinet furniture. I could drink a Margarita right now and not worry about it as long as I can make it back up the steps.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, texting falls somewhere the "answer me at your leisure" e-mail and "talk to me RIGHT NOW" telephone.

Reply to
Leon

I ignore most text messages. When people get irritated and ask why I didn't answer their text, I say, "If it was important, you would've called." They usually just call the next time they need an answer right away.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Excep those using an iPhone on AT&T ... "My phone didn't ring!".

I get that half a dozen times a day. Apparently one of the reasons why many on the iPhone in difficult areas text when it is important.

(I didn't make that up, I don't have an iPhone, and it's what most of the iPhone user's who I need to contact a few times a day keep telling me ... except for Leon, who doesn't seem to have that problem)

Reply to
Swingman

"Leon" wrote

----------------- There ya go Leon. You have discovered the problem.

Soooooo...., next time, just wait for winter. Then remove the pin. :-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nah. Just put it in the freezer.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

LOL Yeah! I am normally a very patient person but I was running out of time on my last job and it became a war, me against the pin. I WON the battle, lost the war $169 later. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And there was on one, 6' away inside my shop. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

In that case, he'd look entirely silly getting a DUI in that short a drive. :^)

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was my foremost fear: you spending money.

As noted, it was my pleasure, increased only by your evident satisfaction with the equipment.

Let me know how it fares with cutting wide wood. On the test morning, there wasn't going to be time to sanitize the dust collector (me) before launch into the world. But later thought about the issue settled on the notion that the cantileverd fence could be hitched up to the back of a wide board with an underhanded palm and upward thumb so it would feed without a bump at the forward lip of the table. If you get a chance to evaluate the maneuver before I do or arrive at a better technique, please lend it to my ear.

And, hey, the choice of name or derived nickname is yours. I barged into Usenet on a group where certificated monikers was the norm, so that's the signature in the fingers' muscle memory.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Snip

More than likely I will not be using this miter gauge for wide panels even though I did put a lot of focus on the length of the guide bar. I have right and left Dubby Jigs/sleds for cutting that kind of stuff and when wide enough I simply use the rip fence. i mostly wanted a dead on gauge for squaring the ends of boards so that I would not have to pullout the sleds. I found that the Kreg saw more action than I imagined and the Incra is such a step up it too may see even more action once I add the 27-49" telescoping fence. Simply put if the fence will not sit on the TS top I will get the sled out.

You want a nick name??? Let me see here.... hummmmm ummmmmmm

man, ,,,,, How about Ed? ;~)

Reply to
Leon