Miter gauge for a table saw.

I am looking for an economic miter gauge for a table saw (standard slot 3/8 x 3/4). I don't need a sofisticated system, just a miter gauge with a minimum of precision. It this tool a good choice ?

any suggestion less than 100$

Thank you !

Stephane Bourque

Reply to
SBO

The Incra V27 is a pretty good basic miter gauge.

Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews
our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander

- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler

- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

www

If you can't afford the Incra, I vote that you look on Ebay for an old Delta/Rocwell mitre gauges. The problem with the gauge you link to, is that the pointer is never accurate. You'll end up having to realign it with a square or drafting triangle every time to adjust it. Doable, but a inconvience.

The Incra is very good! I have one, however the sliding stop on it is somewhat painfull to move around, but once you zero in the measurement tape, it can be very accurate for cutoffs.

Reply to
allen.morgan

I happen to think that stock miter gauges stink.

I have a couple of sleds that accomplish all of my crosscutting. The are good enough (pretty darned good) so that I never use a miter gauge.

Have you considered just making a a sled or two?

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Stephane, I own an osborne and now an incra 1000se both way over your budget. The rockler one, the incra, the kreg and others are well reviewed. I think that a miter gauge is well worth investing in. I use a contractor saw and get dead on accuracy with these. I was not getting any good accuracy with the one that came with my saw and it is a very well liked contractor's saw. Accuracy is everything if you are going to do things like boxes, musical instruments, mortise and tenon joints, box joints etc. etc. I don't agree that you "don't need" one of these precision miter gauges. You do!! IMHO Mike R.

Reply to
gadgetman

Anything that locks can be as accurate as anything else. I have the old microadjustable Delta, and I can bolt on all kinds of things if I need to. The pointer can be adjusted, but who's foolish enough to believe any miter gage of any price will remain accurate? Too easy to check the setup by matching pieces for me to ever trust some ignorant piece of iron.

Not to mention that the most likely source of inaccuracy is the operator, anyway.

Reply to
George

Just a tad over $20 over your budget is the Woodhaven Deluxe miter gauge. I have one, use it mostly for cutting odd angles, and it is dead on accurate at ALL settings. They do have a more basic unit for less, but I've never used it. However, if it has anywhere near the accuracy the deluxe model has, it should be in the running for you and worth checking out.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
vfrost