Miter gauge...

I am looking closely at this one

comments. . .preferences. . .suggestions?

Reply to
Swampbug

My preference

(sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

Your choice will probably depend on how you figure you'll most be using it. The one you've listed above has many pin stops which would be handy with a variety of quick repeatable settings. The one that Markem listed, to me anyway, would be more useful with longer boards, but would take a little more time to set for specific angles.

Reply to
Upscale

IMHO the simpler the better. That one looks ok or the Kreg. I use the Kreg.

Reply to
Leon

When cutting 45's I always have the miter gauge situated so that most of the board leads the cut. Basically I want the blade to be cutting with the grain to help prevent tear out as the blade exits the back side of the wood on either side of the blade. I tried the model that you linked to and found that it worked well unless I extended the triangle out to the "far" 45 degree setting. With the gauge in that setting the gauge would wiggle and deviate up to 3 or 4 degrees. Every unit in stock at my local dealer had that same problem. Have they fixed that problem?

Reply to
Leon

I have not had that problem with the miter gauge, but I reverse the whole thing to cut miters on the left side of my blade rather than on the right which has the larger table area in my setup. But a set 45 degree jig is my preference for accurate repeatable cuts, the panel cutting jig doubles nicely for this(or the CMS). A lot of my joints are 90 degrees so the EB3 makes easy repeatable length cuts mindless sort of. So I really do not know whether ther problem stiil exist I suspect so, our needs might just differ.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

I have one. I use it. I like it. Would buy again.

Reply to
tommyboy

Well actually I use a right and left dubby sled for angle cuts and leave my Kreg miter gauge for the 90 degree cuts. I figured however, if you are spending $150+ for a miter gauge it should be accurate on all cuts. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I purchased the Kreg model from Lee Valley 2 weeks ago... to replace the one that came with my Delta 680 saw.. what an amazing improvement.. easy set angles. perfect fit in the mitre slot, and minimal flex.

Would totally recommend it.

Mike

Reply to
MikeMac

Swampbug,

There are different types of miter gauges to be sure. The other post about the Osborne is a good recommendation for a high end miter gauge. For a lower end (and lower cost) miter gauge I would recommend the Incra V27, it doesn't have a pointer that floats over a protractor dial, it has teeth that lock in the same spot every time. You can check it out here:

have an incra V27 and I belive for a standard miter gauge it has no equal. I have an Incra Miter 2000 with the 18" fence that I keep set up for use on the right side of my table saw blade. I like having one set up for the right side for when I do bevel cuts.

There are also miter sleds out there. I have the Jointech SmartMiter. You have to see one of these to believe them. You can view a video demonstration of it's capabilties at this Jointech web site:

it depends on what you want to do with your miter gauge and how much you can spend. But for a basic style I don't think you will find any thing better than the Incra V27, in the more advanced miter gauge, the Osborne is probably a better miter gauge than my Incra 2000. For a miter sled.........the Jointech SmartMiter has no equal.

My $0.02

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

FWW did a miter guage review (issue #165). They didn't much like the osborne (too much flex and play). Their favourites were the woodhaven and the JDS accu-miter.

I have the woodhaven and love it. For cuts that use their pre-set holes, it's exactly spot on. Every time. I'd buy another (but will probably never need to :-)

--jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Picciotto

That was my exact findings. Especially when extending the arm out to the far 45 degree setting. I e-mailed the Osbourne inventer and he basically side stepped the issue with the statement that if the gauge did not meet my expectations that I should return it. My dealer checked the rest in his inventory and apparently this is an inherent problem.

Reply to
Leon

I read a review on it not too long ago and it indicated the same thing.

Reply to
Upscale

I have no experience with that one. I have the JessEm Mite-R-Excel, which I jumped on right when it was introduced. A bit pricey (around $220), but it is very, very nice.

Art Greenberg

If nothing else it certainly is eye candy. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Art, it is nice. . .and pricey.

Reply to
Swampbug

If you do consider an Osborne I highly advise you to try it out at the store through the whole range of angles 45-0-45.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Swampbug

Loks nice. . .how is the stop scale use at various angles?

Reply to
Swampbug

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but why not make a few sleds with the angles you need? I made a 22 1/2 degree sled large enough to accomodate a 30x24 inch piece of 8/4, and was able to use it accurately.

's the plan that I used.

For me, half the thrill is building stuff to build stuff. I'm a jig junkie.

On that note, how many angles do we as woodworkers *need* on a regular basis? Of course, if you need a 41-degree angle, no miter sled is gonna help (unless you've made a 41-degree sled), but how often do you need a 41-degree angle?

BTW, you still living in S LA? Shoot me an email if so; I'd like to meet up.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
phildcrowNOSPAM