miter box stand/support system

I just got a new miter box and I need to build a stand for it. In addition I figure I'd like a long support surface on both sides.

My typical use for a while will be 1) trimming big wood - 8' 2x4 and

2x6, and 2) mitering little wood (for picture frames)

I could just whip something together, but I'm looking for suggestions and/or plans based on others' experience so I don't make the same mistakes others may have made and learned from.

For example,

  • What's an ideal table height? I'm leaning toward a cutting-surface height of 40" based on my RAS table height.
  • What's an ideal length of support on either side? I could vary placement of the saw in the workshop to give it the proper distances, but where I'm planning on putting it I've got about 6' available to the left and 4' to the right.
  • How important is it to be mobile? Is this a machine that's easily wheeled out for occasional use or more likely to be necessary to quicly accessible?
  • How important is it to be level? Should I put bolts on the ends of the legs (like my RAS) so each leg can be raised/lowered? Or is it sufficient to just cut the legs to the same length?
  • Should I make a single long unit (saw table and wood supports), or make the wood supports separate so they can be changed if necessary, and separately leveled from the table?
  • What's a good material for the wood supports - MDF for the base and fence? (I don't have planer/jointer to make true boards).
  • What are some good time-saving tricks - tape measure on the fence, adjustable stop, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Press

There are many ways of doing this and alot of what you asked is a matter of personal preference. However I do recall seeing a plan for a miter station over at Uncle Norms website.

Im sure theres other plans out there, butthis is just the first one that came to mind.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Actually I just looked at Norms site and he has two. A miter bench/station and a portable unit as well.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Saw horses, two long 2x4s on edge, cut 2x4s at the ends, and vertical 2x4s on the end pieces cut to the miters bed height.

Works great. Cost $6 ( not counting horses ).

But then the Barn has to go between a general work shop, a mechanics shop and a wood shop. Compact storage is the issue.

Reply to
Mark

I've got a Delta. It's strong and sturdy, but I really don't like the way it stores.

Reply to
Wilson