miter box - dual bevel - worth it?

The only dual bevel I've seen is the Dewalt 706?
Why is that? Is it just a novelty?
In rec.woodworking nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

It keeps you from ever having to cut with your stock upside down, which is nice. Anything to make compound cuts easier on your brain is a good thing.
Yeah.. my initial thought is it's the same logic as having left-right miter. It almost seems to logical to move left - right on both miter and bevel.
What am I missing? Why would I not get dual bevel?
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:13:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:56:13 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

1) they're expensive
2) they're more complex mechanically. the motors have angle drives on them, the pivots have longer throws, etc. it adds up to more to go wrong and more places for slop and flex to show up.

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:34:05 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

hitachi and bosch both have 'em. prolly others also...
Bridger responds:

Ridgid had one also. Bosch has 2, IIRC, Hitachi has 3. Makita has one also, may have had the first.
Not exactly a novelty. It's great for some kinds of work. I'm currently using the Bosch 4412, and find it nearly indispensible. Also a lot easier to use than earlier versions.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
It's NOT a novelty. I have the single bevel Dewalt and constantly wish it was a dual type!
dave
nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

so I am not missing something.. at least I have company if I am.. ;-)
now I have to contemplate selling off my Hit C8FB2, 8.5" SCMS, in favor of a 12" dual bevel (non slider).
{I see no reason why I'd need more than 8" capacity.. unless it was rough cut, and then I'd just flip it over and have 16". I'd use my TS box for precision work}
Does the Dewalt really have the most capacity? The belt drive design seems to support that boast.

Wht not get a used radial arm saw ,takes alittle more time but does the same .....mjh
--

<nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
i've "almost" bought a used RAS several times
i just dont see how a RAS can be accurate - as someone noted the move "bells" the more room for error. i can appreciate at that line of thought as it applies to dual bevel (but if it rotates right, it would seem minimal to also rotate left). but a ras is a whole new pot of stew. there's that long arm.. and a tilt mechanism on the motor... just cannot be that accurate.
i'll stick with a scms/cms and my crosscut box on ts

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Actually it can - but, like most tools, a RAS doesn't get that way by accident. I use framing and machinist's (with a protractor head) squares to set mine up - and it consistantly does a first rate job.
This doesn't take anything away from other saw types - but if I had to choose between a SCMS and a RAS, then the RAS would be my first choice.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in message

Lotsa dual combo saws out there. I have 4 different miter saws all set up for different tasks. But I wish for the dual compound miter every time I have to put up crown molding. If you are going to do a house full of that, the dual mitre will cut down on the learning curve, the amount of frustration, and make it fun to do. It is well worth the $$$ for this application.
As for me, when you have a few already, I can't really justify the price.
Robert
well... while I only have 1 now.. Hitachi 8.5" SCMS, I'd be looking to sell it and pick up the dual bevel.. probably the Dewalt 706. The Hit goes for 360, and I have a Forrest blade on it. Maybe I can get $370 for it? Dunno.. but I cannot afford to have both.