Mistakes or sloppy work

All right guys- I'm no fan of WalMart, but they're *not* paying minimum wage. Around here, the stockers get something on the order of $9 an hour. While that's still crappy pay, it's close to double the minimum wage, and higher than unskilled factory work in the area.

Of course the job sucks- just like any other job that requires nothing more than a pulse.

You've got a real point there. I've met dozens of people over the years who I've seen fired from real jobs because they were not only unable to do the job, but also unwilling to show up every day and at least make an attempt to learn. Almost invariably, I end up seeing those folks later on- stacking boxes at the WalMart when I need to get something late at night and everything else is closed. Better that they have that to occupy their time, instead of being out robbing liquor stores.

And being skilled labor doesn't guarantee health care, either. Most job shops with less than fifteen employees (and some larger ones as well) don't offer it either. If the government would stop giving people free health coverage because they're lazy, we might see the premiums go down a bit. I have seen, time after time, with no hyperbole- that the laziest and least useful people (usually the ones with government sponsored health care) are the first to run to the doctor for even the most minor of injuries or percieved ailments. The doctors' billing desks know that they can get cash out of Medicare and it's analogs, and they charge accordingly- it runs up the cost for everyone.

Now, that's not to say that everyone that works in a WalMart is an ignorant and/or useless person- of course some of them are not. That's true anywhere. What I'm saying is that they are providing a whole lot of people who cannot or will not do even the most modest things to better themselves with an income.

Reply to
Prometheus

" Though most of the illegal workers were employed by third-party contractors"

Hardly backs up the statement that Wal Mart has been busted.

Reply to
RayV

You seem to have missed a good bit of this thread. Go back and read the parts you missed. This was already covered.

RicodJour

Fine, you want to call the results a single government operation that led to a single trial against Wal-Mart "numerous busts" you go right ahead.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have to laugh. This thread has taken on a whole new dimension. I was merely making an observation about something I saw at a time when I was thinking about my own work. Perhaps I should have said 'go wandering though furniture stores'.

When I can see all the goofs in my work that I don't charge money for (the work not the goofs) and then see the crap being sold for money, I begin to rethink how I see my work. This is not an excuse to stagnate nor feel that my mistakes are OK but a wake up to stop being so hard on myself. My work will always improve and I try to avoid making the same mistakes twice, but only when I remember what the original problem was. I only need to put out good work not perfection.

As for my shortcomings, I have plenty just like you and everone else. I don't need you or anyone else to point them out to me because that's my job and I can do that much better than you. And what the hell does any of this have to do with prison?

These days I rarely go through life thinking I can do things as good or better as another man's work. This particular chest was an exception.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Amazing that more people are employeed now than ever before, since you think there are now fewer jobs to be had.

I didn't say there were not jobs being contracted out overseas, what I said is that contracting work out overseas creates jobs here. How? The product price becomes lower, more units can be sold, more people are need to sell those units, transport those units, distribute those units and import those units. Because of lower production costs, many products are a reality that would have never seen the market if they had to be made here, as the production costs wouldn't support the price point of the product.

I own and operate company that has many of it's products made overseas. And you think I don't have any idea what I am talking about? What do you do for a living?

Reply to
Locutus

They all do there? Not likely. Your personal example doesn't necessarily reflect upon every employer.

Reply to
Locutus

Where did I ever say that kind of behavior is OK? I never defended those practices, those practices are illegal, and if they are legitimately happening, then they should be prosecuted for it.

This conversation started out by people saying that Wal-mart is "screwing" their employees with no benefits and low wage. This is what I have a problem with.

Reply to
Locutus

I have a cleaning company that cleans my business. I have no idea if they are illegal or not.

Reply to
Locutus

In my line of work, that is the case (and that of Prometheus, who I was addressing). It is not the low skilled, low pay crap you are talking about.

Reply to
CW

61 stores were raided. Coincidence or a pattern?

I'm not sure what you're suggesting as the alternative. Would you prefer the sting operation extracted one illegal alien from one store at a time? That sounds efficient. Maybe the feds are taking a page from Walmart's book and consolidating to take advantage of the economies of scale.

RicodJour

I find that I am my own worst critic. I see plenty of stuff and wonder how the he** can they sell that for some gosh awful price tag. I see that stuff and agree with the wifey ... mine is much higher quality and I usually just give the stuff away. I'm in for the hobby not the dollars. The satisfactions are in the completed process and watching the smile come on a face. Thom

Reply to
Thom

I think that is as it should be. I only compare my work to superior work - work that impresses me. There's enough satisfaction in doing the work itself that I don't need validation comparing my work to inferior work. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem bitching about inferior work and inflated price tags on inferior work.

RicodJour

Single bust, multiple locations.

That would be repeated busts.

Yes, they are, hence the single bust that you keep claiming was not a single bust.

Reply to
J. Clarke

-rant on- Cheap jobs for unskilled people is one thing. Abusing them is another. If they fraternize, the get fired. They now have a demerit system, where they get demerits if they are more then 10 min late, or, God forbid, they leave to tend to a sick child. Awhile back they were offering life insurance to the employees, they (Wal-Mart) even the premium. Of course, they (Wal Mart) were the beneficiary. What about the recent lawsuit regarding hours? My wife used to work for the Red Cross. When Wal Mart made their yearly "donations" it was a pile of broken crap in truck, then they would state the retail value product as their donation. Meanwhile, the local hardware store give something nice. There is just no excuse for that.

They have 1.2 million employees. They have a responsibility, if not to pay them well, to treat them like human beings. I just know I don't need to save a buck so badly as to support a place that treats people badly enough that I wouldn't advise my kids to work there.

.I realize we can find faults with any place, but they are the biggest and the worst. Anyway the shopping experience sucks, I did go in once.

-rant off-

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

> That's busted once and according to that source most of the "illegal aliens"

Oh yeah, sure you would. Now, put your self in the place of the "uneducated, unskilled" employee that Walmart preys on. No place else to work, you're not calling the cops or pulling any fire alarms. It's best not to try and put your self into the mindset of the people that Walmart hires.

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I used to be one of the uneducated, unskilled and joined the military. Got out with better skills and some college. Got a good paying job with no benefits. Quit that job for one that paid less but had benefits Got more education Worked hard Got more money

Fairly simple to improve your situation, quit whining and do it.

Reply to
RayV

SWMBO used to remind me as we paid for good lumber and fittings that almost anything I made was going to be better than store-bought. True way back, and hasn't changed.

OTOH, all the Wally World bashers need to stop and think. Who shops at the store? Poor people? Aren't we all about helping the poor? Why force them to shop elsewhere or do without.

Reply to
George

Taking bets?

Like everything else, it seems the person with the deepest pockets is held responsible. Get on in there in the evening and check those green cards, or someone with a grudge will.

Reply to
George