Mistakes can be rewarding

I screwed up a glue up session this weekend. One board popped out of position. I was bitching about it Monday to the bookkeeper as I don't have a lot of hand planes and the glue up was 17" wide and my planer only handles 13" wide. Her machinist father died awhile back, today she brought me a Stanley 220, Stanley 151, Stanley 3, and a Stanley Bedrock 605. Also in the box were a Disston Keystone pacemaker, a Disston victory D43, and an unlabeled 1 man crosscut saw and an unlabeled 2 man cross cut saw. These things have like 1" teeth. Also included are several large chisels, Also there is what looks like a block plane but has a rounded iron with no ID on it. Guess I'll sharpen them up and get to work.

MikeM

Reply to
Mike M

Networking can really pay off. When people know you work wood you'd be amazed at what comes your way at very good prices or, often free. It's probably got her father smiling knowing that those tools are going to be used. If you pay attention while using them you may get some good advice from him. You will sense someone smiling with you as each plane does exactly what it was intended to do. Enjoy!

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Besides networking, it also pays to travel in a pickup.

Based on a random conversation this past weekend, I hauled back from Arkansas another 27 black walnut S2S 3/4 boards, that average 7" X 96", that a non-woodworking friend-of-a -friend found stored under his new house and had no use for ... free, and in addition to some that I already bought.

From my previous excursions there in the 70's when everyone had another type 'stash', I am beginning to suspect that everyone in Southern Arkansas now has a black walnut stash.

In any event, my shop is choked with black walnut and I have little room to move ... when it rains, it pours.

Reply to
Swingman

"> Based on a random conversation this past weekend, I hauled back from

Geee and I bet you want us to feel sorry for you in this dilemma! Just to show how great a bunch of guys are here I bet that several of us would be glad to take some of that walnut off of your hands (for free of course) and make more room in your shop for you. Congrats on the problem and enjoy clearing out space in your shop.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Nope ... just stating two current facts. :)

Thank you. As noted in an earlier post, I am on a vigorous program of BBQ'ing ribs weekly with scraps so I recover some of the space ... life can indeed be tough.

Reply to
Swingman

Mike M wrote: snip

Congratulations at resurrecting the tools. Post a pic of the unknown block plane on ABPW and maybe someone can ID it.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Hey Mike, Make her a little something for a thank you. Jana

Reply to
Jana

YOU SUCK!

Reply to
Vic Baron

What a gloat...I think you should maybe make her a little tool kit or jewelry box, just to say thank you

Reply to
Clif

In the plans, I know she wants a tea type serving tray for her mom.

Mike

Reply to
Mike M

Good idea, I can see some uses for it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike M

Do you want to hear about my used unisaw? LOL

Mike

Reply to
Mike M

Something is in the works, thanks Mike