Mission Furniture

I'm not a fan of mission style, but I know many of you are. This guy does some of the best I've seen. I think you'll enjoy it:
http://www.furnituremaker.com /
"Jeff" wrote in message

Darrell used to post here on occasion ... most likely one of the reasons why you, "not a fan of mission style", like him is his pieces have the appearance of being heavily influenced by the likes of Greene & Greene, who really put their own personal stamp on the "Arts and Crafts" style of furniture/architecture.
Ever get a chance, the next time you're at a bookstore, get a copy of "American Bungalow" magazine, a publication that is doing its best to keep this particular idiom of "Arts and Crafts" alive.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Angela bought me a book by Darrell Peart:
Greene & Greene Design Elements for the Workshop www.lindenpub.com
One of the nicest Christmas gifts this year. Shows you how to do those ebony accents and pegs. I can't say I categorically like ALL G&G stuff, but they have some wonderful designs. And, IMHO, quite different in style than Stickley's interpretation of 'mission'.
There are some fonts in circulation called Arts & Crafts (True-type and PS). Some are very nice. (IIRC, you did a house number once using a similar font.. that's still stuck in my memory as one of the nicer pieces I have seen coming out of here.) ...
"Robatoy"

Gee ... thanks! You mean this:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsmanHouseNum607.JPG
??
I always considered that more "Down & Dirty" than Greene & Greene.
go figure ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.
I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.
This is also 'down and dirty': http://www.globalgallery.com/enlarge/007-14571 /
SRV's riffs were 'down and dirty'.
That house number has a very pleasing balance and there is more to that than just getting lucky.
I can't say much more, because people will start to talk..*G*
I think it was Glenn Miller who said that if sounds good, it is good.
I apply that to visuals as well. If it looks good, it is good.
I say the exact same thing to some of my customers that pull out a tape measure to center a piece of furniture that I have moved for the 2nd or 3rd time.
I was going to take Darrel's class at Mr Ng's shop in Southern California next month but it conflicted with trip to Maui. Wood and sunny beaches, really pretty much a toss up for me. If bikini clad woman would wonder through the wood shop now and then, maybe I wouldn't get to Hawaii so often. He'll have some more classes later this year supposedly so maybe I'll go up to Washington and see his new shop too.
I love craftsman, mission, prarie, even like lots o' shaker. I used to think G&G was kind of heavy and over ornate but interesting details. When you see a nice piece in person it has a huge amount of interest. After seeing Darrels work I gained a much deeper appreciation of the style.