Mission Chair Reproduction 2013

Page 1 of 2
Agreed to take this one on today, it should be fun:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionChairReproduction2013#
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/21/2013 9:41 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionChairReproduction2013#
Nice looking chair. SWMBO and I love the Mission/Arts&Crafts/Stickley style (at least this year<g>).
Please keep us in the loop as you proceed.
Is that your music stand next to the "model?" Very neat. Looks like somebody is/knows a welder/smithie with some talent.

Will do ... I'm looking forward to reproducing this chair. That curved back is a challenge.

Linda has two of those .. I think they may have been a gift from a fan somewhere in the distant past. She and our daughter have a concert this weekend, so brought that thing into _my_ office Sunday so I could help them with the chords to Alison Krauss's acapella version of "Down to The River To Pray".
Songwriter, singer, or not, want to know the chords to a song? Just ask the closest bass player. :)
It will probably be in my way for months now ...
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 2/21/13 10:48 AM, Swingman wrote:

Sounds like the perfect excuse to get into steam bending. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/21/2013 11:13 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

The original is a factory made (rather poorly, IMO) furniture store chair of approximately ten years of age, and the curved back legs are most definitely cut out of a wider board.
On careful inspection, 5/4 red oak stock, 7 1/4" in width x 40" in length, will accommodate this method for that curve as long as the grain is carefully chosen.
Here's how that may play out:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionChairReproduction2013#5847462586683880274
A plus is that at least the front, and back, legs for each side of the proposed chairs can be laminated to the required 2" width at the top, from the curved cutoffs of that same stock/process.
Down payment in hand and finished my CutList this morning, so will be shopping for suitable stock this afternoon and tomorrow.
I'm going to do one prototype (but useable?) leg as a router template, in any case, so I'll have a better feel for methodology at that point.
And yes, I'm working in my office ... so I can enter everything in Sketchup as it works out. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:58:38 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:46:13 AM UTC-6, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopMissionChairReproduction2013#5847462586683880274 Heck, Robert. He's already got the curve of the back leg going the wrong way.... unless it's being made for someone that'll be facing to the left.
Sonny
On 2/21/2013 12:25 PM, Sonny wrote:

As soon as I can find my way back to the shop from 610 Loop, I'll take that under advisement. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I thought that was for hurricane evacuations, not snow storms. *g*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/21/2013 12:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Been driving for a looong time. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote

and sawdust? ;-)
I always love to see your work. Since I have seen your work in person, my mind fills in the tight joints, the solid construction, and the well thought out details in the projects you turn out that pictures can't show. Sadly, (and no idea of how to fix this...) your pictures, probably no one's, could do some of your work justice.
But the next thing that impresses me is that you take the time to document your work, explain it, and provide drawings and sketches to assist in understanding your designs and methods. I don't know if very many understand much time and effort that takes, but I sure do.
So thanks for your work and thanks for sharing it. I look forward to the build process on this newest contract.
Robert

<blush> Thanks, Robert ... damn! :) Actually, if the truth were told, I found out early on that time spent in detailed planning makes up, somewhat, for a lack of talent.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. <g>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I miss Robatoy's comments ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/23/2013 8:39 AM, Han wrote:

That makes bofus ... although we never actually met in person, I sure enjoyed knowing Rob. Odd how the world turns sometimes ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Same here ...
--
Best regards
Han

Definitely we lost a lot not having his posts. This was a man that understood the passion of life.
Mike M
On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:04:54 -0800, Mike M

+1
--
Progress is the product of human agency. Things get better because
we make them better. Things go wrong when we get too comfortable,

Yeah. This newsgroup is the worse for it.
On 2/24/2013 12:44 AM, Dave wrote:

house, brings a little pleasure every day.
--
Froz...

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:12:06 -0500, FrozenNorth

Really? What do you have? In the last several years past, I sought to get together with him on one of his visits to Toronto, but it just never happened.