Misleading Amazon price cuts on tools

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

I think you missed the point -- I did figure it out. However, I wanted to achieve two goals with this post: 1. Inform others who might be misled 2. Indirectly influence Amazon if such posts cause enough potential buyers to either look otherwise or to speak up themselves.
As you say, "Life is too short" to argue about this... If you disagree with my thinking, the as you say "Move on. Next" post "please".
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

He wasn't complaining necessarily - just giving a heads-up about some snakey marketing techniques. Yes, the consumer eventually pays all costs, but if Amazon listed an item all summer at $100 with free shipping, then it's hardly a price cut if they now sell it at $90 with a $15 shipping fee.

And then order from Lee Valley? After all, they are the one doing the consumer-friendly thing of alerting you in advance, should they not get the benefit of your patronage in return?
John

Don't confuse the price of the product Amazon is selling with what the transaction will cost you when shipping, handling, tax, are added in. From my view as a consumer, price and cost are not the same thing.
I'm not a big fan of Amazon, but don't hold them responsible for the cost of shipping.
Jack -- Any tools or woods purchased or any time or money spent in the pursuit of woodworking that employs our evolutionary advantage of opposing thumbs needs no further justification.

I think you totally missed my point. I am not holding them responsible for anything -- they can say what they want and charge what they want (as long as they are not violating some law).
I was just pointing out that their marketing was misleading if not deceptive (though almost certainly not illegal) -- goal was to inform others and perhaps indirectly influence Amazon to avoid such misleading statements.
Jeff
I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.

From
cost of

of
needs
Thanks for your response. I think we probably agree, but I may not have made my point clear. Clearly any decision on where to buy a tool or anything, should be based on the total cost to you at the location where you want it and that total cost is not just on the price of the product.
When we consumers consider a purchasing decision, we must weigh Internet purchasing tax-free with shipping and handling and local delivery charges added versus local purchase without shipping and handling to sales tax added. Then we factor in connivance, after sales service and other key but sometimes forgotten charges. Then we can determine the total cost. If we elect not to do these things, then Pogo may have been right when he said, "we have met the enemy and they is us."
The central point you make, that we should all be astute consumers is very valuable. I was afraid that some of the responses were just Amazon/Tool Crib bashing.
Local impact: Our refrigerator is on its way out. We are shopping for a new one. Surprise! The sell price does not include delivery and installation. No dealer has yet told me about those charges until I asked.
Jack
Thanks for the warning.
For the "life is too short," "buy somewhere else" guys, please try to take a step back, and look at your own advice. If "life is too short," why must consumers have to waste such valuable time *the first time* ferreting out information purposely made as obscure and misleading as possible in order to determine that you should "buy somewhere else" the next time? OK, now we know what Amazon.com is doing. That's one out of how many more to go?