Misleading Amazon price cuts on tools

Page 2 of 3

There's this twonk on ebay who sells nothing but electronic vernier calipers. He starts the bidding at .01 with no reserve and you may be tempted to bid - until you note that his p&p is 10! - this for an item which may weigh 3 or 4 oz soaking wet. This suggests that the item isn't worth more than a fiver to begin with. So (and he may be counting on this) if you don't read carefully you may bid over ,01 for the item and end up paying even MORE.
Have to admire his chutzpah
FoggyTown

The weight determines value?

Sounds like a classic case of padding the S&H to evade auction costs paid to eBay. Have you notified them of the guy's activities? If not, why complain about it without doing something about it?

Why, so the rest of us eBayers can subsidize his scam? Sorry, no admiration here.

Truth is, YES most of them are monkeys... And secondly, all the handling and stuff is part of your normal markup and cost of doing business... When I get a request for quote to a customer, it cost me time and money to prepare it, and nothing tells me I will get the job, and there is raerely a cost associated to the potential customer for it.. However that time/money and effort is calculated into my price, and not added as a handling/quoting charge. They choose to be an online business, they know they will need to factor in the labor fees for the people/materials to prepare/pack and ship the items... However as someone said before, they try to make it look like they are giving you a sweet deal, and then they nail you on the handling fees (which is thier real profit/markup), which they could have easily put in the price, but that would make them look uncompetitive to the search engines.. :)
But I agree, that buying stuff, an not checking what the TOTAL cost you will be paying, is outright ridiculous... Everything plays a roll in your final price.. Shipping, handling, taxes, and any duties/brokerage if it is an international order like for canadians... I rarely continue an online checkout if I can't get a shipping/handling charge amount before I enter my personal info. There is too much competition out there to bother dealing with the ridicuous systems out there...
For large orders, I will frequently place orders online from the neighbouring province, sincely because I can save an extra 7% provincial tax, which they don't have to charge me...And for orders accross the border, I will frequently insist on USPS instead of UPs, simply because UPS insists on charging some criminal brokerage fees, which Fedex and USPS include in thier shipping fees. Even my ISP is in a different province, and it saves me an extra $5/month... hey why not save it, if it is not causing me any inconvenience to do so.
L8r..

Hm, you need a better search engine, I think. froogle and pricewatch both sort by _shipped_ price, not just retail item price.

If that includes your zip code, then you're being a bit unfair there, I think.

It depends .. some companies (LV comes to mind ;-) ) charge either a flat rate, or an incremental rate based on order total rather than by zip.
Others I've seen (and don't remember off the top of my head) will allow you to get to the shipping rates prior to entering any *financial* information -- which is how I interpreted the OP's post (yeah, I know, not *exactly* what the OP said ...)
Regardless, I won't do business with anyone I have to give information to, to find s/h data (other than at most, zip code) ... It's just not needed.
Personally, I generally don't use mail/web/phone orders to get a "deal" -- usually, by the time you factor in the s/h, any savings are lost. The real benefit to me for m/w/p is better selection. LV doesn't have a store in PDX, so I'm happy to do business with them - and I've used all three modes. I've done other business with, eg, Amazon, because they had something I couldn't find locally either at all, or easily enough.
But I won't do business with companies that make finding s/h a chore.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
Let's face it. The ONLY info required to get a quote for the TOTAL price of anything should be a zip code. (Your name and address is hardly likely to influence the price, is it.) BUT once you enter even some basic personal info the seller can add it to his growing list of names which he can onsell to some oter enterprise and THAT, children, is why you get half a forest of junk crap dropped through your mailbox every day.
FoggyTown

Zip code is all that is required. If you look at the rate charts that UPS, FedEx and others distribute for web type shopping carts, all they require is the zip.
If you really need to use a particular vendor that pulls this crap, just put in bogus info and make sure the zip is correct.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

If they are using actual shipping charges, it would seem they would need to know your address to calculate them!

You certainly got an online or emailed receipt for the total. If they later billed you for an amount different from the receipt, you have grounds for a refund. Attorneys general get really itchy about fraud.
Bob

Roger Taylor wrote:

CAVEAT EMPTOR! Shipping AND handling/postage AND packaging. Apparently these places use real high quality, space-age cardboard boxes and the "handlers/packers" earn about $45/hour.
FoggyTown
This may be true for some items, but the one that I have been keeping an eye on (Bessey 24/40 clamp set) has actually come down in price about $10. (Was $140 now $130). Of course, it was $130 up until about 6 months ago.
Still offering free shipping on it too.
Now, when I get some kind of coupon or $off deal to go with it, I may "pull the trigger".
Last (and only) time I got it for $99!!
Lou

I just got a flyer with an order from Lee Valley. They give notification that Bessey is going to have a national promotion in October, but they cannot quote prices yet. So watch for announcements from all the Rocklers, Woodcrafts, Amazons, etc.
Bob

Thanks for that Bob,
I am in no big hurry to add to my (meager) Bessey collection!
Lou
Man do I feel left out of this thread... maybe I have been self employed too damn long, responsible for myself and my business.
The cost of goods in the consumer's eyes should be the cost to the door. Taxes, shipping, handling, notifications, shipping method, and anything else that I ALWAYS ask for is revealed when questioned. That is being responsible with your money. It is >your< responsibility to be careful, prudent, and wise with your money. Period.
Amazon is not doing anything you couldn't eventually figure out... I mean you did, right? Was it because it was there in front of you?
If you don't like the answers, if you don't like the method of presentation, or if you don't like the way you are treated, why in the hell would you buy from one of these companies and their affiliates?
Life is too short. Complaining will do absolutely nothing. Move on. Next vendor, please.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh... I think you miss the point. I know these conversations will certainly have a bearing on where I buy my next tool. Complaining to the company will do no good. Complaining to the newsgroup will help *someone*. Hopefully before they get screwed.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:23:26 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Looks like you are both saying the same thing. The difference is that by perhaps alerting some people who might not have looked so closely, or who had not been tracking prices previously, the OP is actually helping send a message to the vendor by amplifying a single voice to a broader audience of potential buyers. I went back and checked my records, my last purchase from Amazon or Tool Crib of the Amazon was in April, 2003. I really haven't found prices to be all that much better than other on-line, dedicated woodworking sources like Woodworkers Supply or Lee Valley or others. While I understand that shipping prices are going to rise, trying to hide those changes is not really very up-front with customers.

They are deceptive in other ways. If you sell a book through them they charge the customer ~$3.50 for shipping, but only pass along ~$2.60 to you to cover shipping costs. This is in addition to their listing fee and percentage of the sale. Unless you have sold through them And bought from private sellers through them, this 'fee' is completely hidden. I complained about this to them and did get a response, but it was of the humma, humma variety.

I wonder if this is part of the plan to get everyone purchase Amazon Prime memberships. Not only are tools taking longer to ship, so are books. I just placed an order for books with free shipping, and it will take 3 weeks for them to arrive.
Step 1) Offer Amazon Prime Step 2) Delay Shipping
Add *) Remove rebates *) Increase prices and that's a sure way to increase profits.
This increase in tool prices aren't done in a vacuum. The current Amazon policy is that if you find a brick & mortar store or catalog with a lower price, they will match it plus 10%. (i.e. this does not apply to a web site).
I'm wondering if they are beefing up their quarter's profits, so 'round Christmas time, they can drop prices again.
I was surprised that those books I ordered weren't as low cost as they used to be.
I ordered 3 PB books w/$7 list price, and they only knocked the price done a total of $1.40 off list.

Well, at least one item I just checked (Performax 16/32) is suddenly NOT eligible for Prime. It was before its price increased. I wonder what other products are no longer eligible for free shipping of any sort.
I joined Prime when it was first offered. At the time, I thought it made sense for me, given my purchase history and the stuff I was thinking about buying. It has certainly paid for itself by now (I've bought a lot of books, and some cookware, and taken good advantage of the free 2-day shipping), so if I can't use it for the rest of the year, I won't be terribly upset. But I won't renew my membership if the power tools on my wish list remain ineligible.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at remove eclipse dot net

rebate was announced by WMH, Amazon has been playing games with the price and shipping cost of the 16-32. I'll probably buy it before the rebate expires, however I wont buy from Amazon. Better deal here: http://www.internationaltool.com/performa.htm
And the only shipping charge is $3.99 for insurance.