Misleading Amazon price cuts on tools

Page 1 of 3

I almost got fooled on this, so I wanted to share this with others :)
Amazon is heavily promoting the message: "Lowest Prices of the Season -- Prices dropped on thousands of items in the Tools store"
Actually, this is misleading if not deceptive given that in truth the total cost to the consumer on many tools has actually increased substantially.
While Amazon has indeed dropped the "price" on some tools by an average of about 3-10%, it is has more than made up for it by:
1. Eliminating free shipping over $25 on many items (including some that I saw with shipping charges of $49.99)
2. Expiry of the earlier $25 off $200 and $50 off $250 promo codes (in fact to add insult to injury, the $50 off $250 code that was supposed to end 10/3/05, was cut short to end 9/12/05
For example, previously, the Bosche 3915 SCMS was $347 with free shipping and $50 off for a total price of $297. It now is priced at $304 (which seems like a substantial price drop) until you read that shipping is now $49, for a total cost to the consumer of $353! or a total price INCREASE of 22%
Now, I know that shipping costs have increased, but just be honest about it and don't talk about price cuts when you are really increasing total price to the consumer.
Not saying this is illegal, just misleading and deceptive...
Ditto this!!
I just looked up the JDS Dust-Force dust collector to see if they ever corrected the drastically inaccurate, misleading, and overstated specs for the machine.
Not only had they not corrected them, but the price had been lowered a total of -$30. That's right...it used to be $299, and the "New Lower Price" advertised with a big red and yellow banner is $329.
Nice.
On 15 Sep 2005 10:07:39 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

banner. It reads "New Low Price".
Good point...never noticed that I guess...the price is higher than before, but still "low" in their minds.
That's repellent, repulsive, repugnant, and reprehensible. (I miss Jackie Chiles, I do...)
I'm glad I didn't buy it from Yahoo...I buy my machines locally now, and never regret it. This is just one more reason why.
I am glad I read this

Another 'discounted' item, even has a 'new low price' label..
The Delta 22-580 13" planer
Two days ago it was $349.99 w/ free shipping Now, $368.99 + 49 S/H
The local Rockler's has it for $379 and they having an anniversary sale this weekend w/10% off power tools.
Guess where I'm getting mine Saturday ;)
Ron
Ron wrote:

But then you won't get the special Amazon cardboard box. They put a lot of work into making it look so beat up.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:36:09 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I thought UPS did that for free? ;-)

when they got it.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Another common scam, related to this, on internet sales: Online retailers will hide their "shipping" costs and offer things at outrageously low prices, pre-shipping, so when you use a price finder such as shopzilla or priceline, their company comes out on top. Then they gig you *after* you have made an order. When shopping for a shower radio, all the online price offers were about 70 bucks for a particular model on Sony. A NY store offered same at 50 bucks, and of course I bit on it. Somehow they had the shipping costs disguised from the online invoice, so after I rec'd VISA bill, there was a hidden 22 dollar shipping cost, making the item 70 dollars, more expensive than all other offers, who had either cheap or free shipping. Shipping for that item, at most, should have been 5-6 dollars. Live and Learn!
Shipping and handling charges are often a racket anyway. Seversl years ago we ordered (by phone, not on line) a replacement stirrer for a Hitachi bread machine. The S&H charge was $6 or $7, but the part came by US Mail in a padded bag with a 57c. stamp.
But one thing I do hate about some online vendors is that you can't find out the shipping and handling charges until you've entered you name, address, phone number and card number. At that point you can still bail out, but that information has all been entered for no good reason.
Perce
On 09/15/05 01:40 pm Roger Taylor tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Perce wrote:
<<But one thing I do hate about some online vendors is that you can't find out the shipping and handling charges until you've entered you name, address, phone number and card number.>>
Then screw 'em. I buy lots of supplies and tools online. If they require that for a simple shipping quote, then something is not right. If they have a phone number, I will call that if it is toll free; if I have to pay for the call, forget it.
If I have to give them personal, monetary information just to find out the final cost I always move to the next vendor.
Robert
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Do you think monkeys are hired to process the order and ship it and that Hitachi gets the padded envelope for free?

I sell things on eBay and other auction sites from time to time, and my minimum shipping cost is $1.00 - yes, that might be just putting the item into a hard paper envelope and driving it down to the post office with a 37 cent stamp, but it's shipping _and_ handling. It's hardly a racket - you're free to choose not to buy, after all.
On 09/15/05 03:55 pm Dave Hinz tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

When they said that S&H was $6 or $7, we assumed that it would come by UPS or some other faster and more expensive carrier than USPS. I've paid that much shipping (or less) for much larger, heavier items that *have* come by UPS or FedEx.
Perce

(I love your attribution line...)

Well, assuming gets you what you deserve, doesn't it? I welcome questions, myself, but I'm hardly in business or anything, I'm just selling stuff from one hobby to finance other hobby purchases. But, if a vendor won't tell you who they use to ship for that type of item? Leave 'em alone.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

It's frustrating when you get charged $13 to ship something via UPS and then it doesn't make it to your door for nearly 2 weeks. Is there anywhere in the continental US that should take a 3 pound package that long to get to you?
JP
Amazon.com is a company I would not go near with someone elses wallet, unless I hated the person !!!!
I even set a web filter in my HOSTS file to block them because too many sites link to them.
Just my opinion....

Amazon.com is a company I would not go near with someone elses wallet, unless I hated the person !!!!
I even set a web filter in my HOSTS file to block them because too many sites link to them.
Just my opinion....

Jay Pique wrote:

I dunno about UPS but when I was in Copper Center, Alaska in 1993 I was told USPS express mail was only delivered twice a month. Regular (priority) mail was delivered once per week.
--

FF