Miscellaneous shop observations

Page 2 of 2
On 2010-05-19 19:14:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I beg to differ. If it keeps stuff suspended above the floor, it's CLEARLY anti-gravitational.

No, it would be anti-gravitational if the devices were repelled by the surface (accelerated away from it). As it is, they're in perfect equilibrium - equal and opposite forces.
It would appear some people just do not realize the gravity of the situation.
No, it would be anti-gravitational if the devices were repelled by the surface (accelerated away from it). As it is, they're in perfect equilibrium - equal and opposite forces.

Certainly isn't any levity around here.

On 2010-05-20 00:13:35 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Someone's been listening to Eric Idle...
On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:45:43 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Ah! The Oracle knows about these things. Let's ask!
(From a post I saved ca 1998) Asking the mystic Oracle...
Question: If you drop a buttered piece of bread, it will fall on the floor butter side down. If a cat is dropped from a window or some other high and towering place, it will land on its feet.
But if you attach a buttered piece of bread, butter side up to a cat's back and toss them both out the window? Will the cat land on its feet? Or will the butter splat on the ground?
And in response, thus spake the Oracle:
Even if you are too lazy to do the experiment yourself you should be able to deduce the obvious result. The laws of butterology demand that the butter must hit the ground, and the equally strict laws of feline aerodynamics demand that the cat can not smash its furry back.
If the combined construct were to land, nature would have no way to resolve this paradox. Therefore, it simply does not fall.
That's right, you clever mortal, (well, as clever as a mortal can get) you have discovered the secret of *ANTIGRAVITY*! A buttered cat will, when released, quickly move to a height where forces of cat-twisting and butter repulsion are in equilibrium. This equilibrium point can be modified by scraping off some of the butter, or removing some of the cat's limbs (not recommended, as it produces an unfavourably high demand for fresh cats), allowing descent.
Most of the civilized species of the Universe already use this very principle to drive their ships while within a planetary system. The loud humming heard by most sighters of UFOs, is, in fact, the purring of several hundred tabbies.
The one obvious danger is, of course, that if the cats manage to eat the bread off their backs they will instantly plummet. Of course the cats *will* land on their feet, but this generally doesn't do them much good at all, since shortly after they make their graceful landing several tons of red-hot starship and pissed off aliens come crashing down on top of them.
-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle
On 2010-05-19 23:45:43 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Audiences -- that's what ruins comedy.
On 16 May 2010 11:05:38 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

around and cut the same amount off the opposite end. It would still be wrong, but now it is balanced. <vbg>
Regards, Roy
My observation is that whenever I clean off the bench, the next day it is "junked" up again. As soon as I find that SOB who does this, he will get his!
MJ
On May 16, 7:05am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Another observation I made this weekend, Whatever blade you have in the TS is the wrong blade just when you are hurrying to finish something. It is never wrong when you have plenty of time to finish. It must be a conspiracy between the clock and the saw.
Allen

1 - Yes
2 - Great
3 - Sometimes
Joe
I've found that the boards which move on the table saw the most, are the ones most likely to not survive the fall to the floor.
Sandpaper rule: When you blow the dust off the wood, blow the dust off the sandpaper too.
Every flat surface becomes a table. This is especially true when you're making a table.
When you start dropping things, it time to take a break.
If you can't find the tool you were using just a few minutes ago, it's either time to clean your shop, or time to retire.
the following:

I like 'em all, though they're all too damned true! <grumble,grumble>
-- Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -- John Adams, December 1770 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials'