Miscellaneous shop observations

Perhaps constructing one with 16 beads, then inch fractions could be handled, base 16.

that when the measurement is in the 24-26" range that my neuron powered calculator comes up about 1/4" short. Two projects in a row that has happened. Maybe an abacus will solve it or I should go back to 4th grade and learn fractions over again.

Allen

Reply to
Josepi

"Josepi" wrote in news:wHuIn.13015$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

If you make it only 16" wide, then you'll avoid that spot on the tape measure that gives you trouble. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

No, it's purely gravitational. The only thing that attracts more than a table is the floor (lower potential energy), particularly if it's breakable (higher entropy).

Reply to
krw

Horizontal females are attractive, yes.

Reply to
krw

2.iad:

It's the cursed tape, but I hate to give it up. I think that from all of the drops to the floor it has had, I think that it knocked the measures out of whack. Maybe if I throw it at the ceiling a few times it will reverse it. Otherwise I could call it my "slow" tape.

Now 16 beads on a span 16". That could be a thought.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

rote:

My shop there is a funky anti gravitational vortex. The scrap never falls and hits the floor while the pieces I just cut out are instantly damaged from falling out of my hands before I could set them down.

My next shop is going to be in outer space.

Allen

Reply to
allen476

I beg to differ. If it keeps stuff suspended above the floor, it's CLEARLY anti-gravitational.

Reply to
Steve

No, it would be anti-gravitational if the devices were repelled by the surface (accelerated away from it). As it is, they're in perfect equilibrium - equal and opposite forces.

Reply to
krw

It would appear some people just do not realize the gravity of the situation.

Reply to
Josepi

Certainly isn't any levity around here.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:45:43 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote the following:

Ah! The Oracle knows about these things. Let's ask!

(From a post I saved ca 1998) Asking the mystic Oracle...

Question: If you drop a buttered piece of bread, it will fall on the floor butter side down. If a cat is dropped from a window or some other high and towering place, it will land on its feet.

But if you attach a buttered piece of bread, butter side up to a cat's back and toss them both out the window? Will the cat land on its feet? Or will the butter splat on the ground?

And in response, thus spake the Oracle:

Even if you are too lazy to do the experiment yourself you should be able to deduce the obvious result. The laws of butterology demand that the butter must hit the ground, and the equally strict laws of feline aerodynamics demand that the cat can not smash its furry back.

If the combined construct were to land, nature would have no way to resolve this paradox. Therefore, it simply does not fall.

That's right, you clever mortal, (well, as clever as a mortal can get) you have discovered the secret of *ANTIGRAVITY*! A buttered cat will, when released, quickly move to a height where forces of cat-twisting and butter repulsion are in equilibrium. This equilibrium point can be modified by scraping off some of the butter, or removing some of the cat's limbs (not recommended, as it produces an unfavourably high demand for fresh cats), allowing descent.

Most of the civilized species of the Universe already use this very principle to drive their ships while within a planetary system. The loud humming heard by most sighters of UFOs, is, in fact, the purring of several hundred tabbies.

The one obvious danger is, of course, that if the cats manage to eat the bread off their backs they will instantly plummet. Of course the cats *will* land on their feet, but this generally doesn't do them much good at all, since shortly after they make their graceful landing several tons of red-hot starship and pissed off aliens come crashing down on top of them.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Audiences -- that's what ruins comedy.

Reply to
Steve

Someone's been listening to Eric Idle...

Reply to
Steve