Miscellaneous shop observations

Page 1 of 2
When some boards are placed on the table saw, they don't seem to want to move. However, when others are placed in the same spot they move easily. Might this mean the ones reluctant to move are flat?
The 3M sand paper is good stuff. Every piece I've replaced has never had to be cleaned and works for a long time.
I can't seem to read the tape properly at around 44". Anyone else have a similiar issue? I cut a piece wrong, then made another and cut that piece exactly wrong again!
Puckdropper

✖
Some boards are nervous about being cut, so they are reluctant to accommodate your prodding them along. Have you tried speaking nicely to your boards?
When you mis-cut, reverse the blade, to remedy the error, then start over.
Doesn't 3M mean 3 Miles of board, to be sanded?
Measure 22" at a time.
Sonny
Add pictures here
✖
On May 16, 7:05 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

My tape measure doesn't read right around 24". For some reason, the boards at that length end up usually shorter but sometimes longer than they should be. Also I noticed that the glue bottle being placed on the bench makes all my parts not fit together after I just had them together 10 minutes before.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖

Hm... If I use your tape for the longer boards and you use mine for the shorter boards, maybe we can work around this problem. I hate having to get the board stretcher out. ;-)
Puckdropper

✖
On May 16, 9:00 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Do you have the Festool board stretcher, the one with the 110" extension rails or is it the homemade version? I looked at the Festool version at Woodcraft, It would save me a lot of time over using my shop built version but can't bring myself to spend the $1500 on it. Maybe we should lobby the lumber industry to make lumber that is self stretching instead.
We could exchange tape measures but mine is a 24" problem where as yours is a 44". I think then we could solve both of our problems at once. Hopefully they wouldn't get damaged in transit and then both of them would have the same problems.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖
The new composite lumber and a heat gun affords many a fix for that forgotten kerf allowance. When wll the saw blade companies finally learn?
Many suspect this is how the 2 x 4 ended up 1.5 x 3.5" originally.

Do you have the Festool board stretcher, the one with the 110" extension rails or is it the homemade version? I looked at the Festool version at Woodcraft, It would save me a lot of time over using my shop built version but can't bring myself to spend the $1500 on it. Maybe we should lobby the lumber industry to make lumber that is self stretching instead.
We could exchange tape measures but mine is a 24" problem where as yours is a 44". I think then we could solve both of our problems at once. Hopefully they wouldn't get damaged in transit and then both of them would have the same problems.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖

For $1500, I could cut enough pieces too short to finally get the idea they should be cut close but long, to trim to size later! I'll have to stick with the homemade version.
Hm... Maybe there's another solution to the tape measure issue. The Lee Valley story tape. They won't have any issues around the 24" or 44" marks. http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&pe359&cat=1,43513
Puckdropper

✖
On May 17, 6:59 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

No, I need one of these......
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Seems that when the measurement is in the 24-26" range that my neuron powered calculator comes up about 1/4" short. Two projects in a row that has happened. Maybe an abacus will solve it or I should go back to 4th grade and learn fractions over again.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖
Perhaps constructing one with 16 beads, then inch fractions could be handled, base 16.
No, I need one of these......
Seems that when the measurement is in the 24-26" range that my neuron powered calculator comes up about 1/4" short. Two projects in a row that has happened. Maybe an abacus will solve it or I should go back to 4th grade and learn fractions over again.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖

If you make it only 16" wide, then you'll avoid that spot on the tape measure that gives you trouble. ;-)
Puckdropper

✖
On May 18, 2:02 pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

It's the cursed tape, but I hate to give it up. I think that from all of the drops to the floor it has had, I think that it knocked the measures out of whack. Maybe if I throw it at the ceiling a few times it will reverse it. Otherwise I could call it my "slow" tape.
Now 16 beads on a span 16". That could be a thought.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖
On May 16, 7:05 am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Shop observation # 302. (Yelled loudly) " KEEP hoses and extension cords OFF the FLOOR when not in use!!!"
Add pictures here
✖

In the same vein, trying to find a dropped screw by dropping another screw and seeing where it goes results in two lost screws. Consistent--but still not productive.
Add pictures here
✖

What I notice is that when I want to use my tablesaw, I have to move stuff to my bench. But if I want to use my bench, I have to move stuff to my table saw. (Small shop syndrome). I NEVER can use either without moving stuff first.
=Zz
Add pictures here
✖

It's the curse of horizontal surfaces. Any horizontal surface will have something placed upon it in less than a week.
Puckdropper

✖
On 2010-05-16 20:53:34 -0400, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> said:

They're anti-gravitational devices, generating powerful forces which attracts stuff!
Add pictures here
✖
Some horizontal surfaces are very attractive. Perhaps female ones?
On 2010-05-16 20:53:34 -0400, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> said:

Add pictures here
✖

Horizontal females are attractive, yes.

Add pictures here
✖

No, it's purely gravitational. The only thing that attracts more than a table is the floor (lower potential energy), particularly if it's breakable (higher entropy).
Add pictures here
✖
On May 19, 7:14 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

My shop there is a funky anti gravitational vortex. The scrap never falls and hits the floor while the pieces I just cut out are instantly damaged from falling out of my hands before I could set them down.
My next shop is going to be in outer space.
Allen
Add pictures here
✖