Mirror update

Page 1 of 3
Still working on mirror frame. I am slow due to working alot of hours and my daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.
Anyway here are some basic pictures of what I have so far: http://imageshack.us/g/607/20130428153410.jpg/
My question is, does it look too plain? Also, the other thing my wife and I are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.
The final product will be two mirrors the same size above my wife's bathroom counter.
I appreciate all the advice.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I see nothing wrong with it other than the burn marks.
Whether you paint or stain depends upon what you want. Personally, I wouldn't paint, I'd stain but diferently than the vanityas you are unlikely to be able to match it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Monday, April 29, 2013 7:14:36 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

very often, but I do know something about the production of woodworking flaws. :) I think the burn marks are in places where the work slowed down as it went past the router bit. Try to keep a smooth motion; anyplace you stop will burn.

Not to me, but I like clean lines. You'll probably want to ease the outer edges a bit though.
Also, the other thing my wife and I are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.
Again, it's a personal thing, but I always prefer the look of wood to the look of paint.

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

From one novice to another: If you have a scrap of wood leftover, you could try carving a bead maybe 1/2"-3/4" in from the outside, and compare it side-by-side compared to what you have, and see whether it makes an appreciable difference to you. Of course, you could fill in the bead with stain. There is no end... : ) Of course, a key aspect is that it complements its surrounding decor. Vertical lines are "peaceful", curved ones "intriguing", diagonal ones full of "action". I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. Maybe you could carve racecars and track-flags around the edge of the frame? If you want to let a project get out of hand, come see me! :)
Cheers, Bill
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You got burn marks because you paused at those spots. Router bits get very hot; NP if you feed continuously at the proper rate but if you pause - or, worse yet, stop - the bit will burn the wood.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

Two mirrors above the bathroom counter seems to imply that there will be a blank spot or two frame rails right in the middle. Such an arrangement would become very annoying over time because one tends to gravitate toward the center area for use of the bathroom vaniity sink. I would think you may want to re-think this and make three mirror frames so that one of them could be centered directly in front of the most likely usage position.
--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions
On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:42:03 AM UTC-5, mkaras wrote:

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

Not sure I have seen three. The problem I have is my daughter and wife fight over the mirror when getting ready in the morning.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Make one big mirror?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:50:50 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

i see large mirrors on craigslist for free all the time. they're removed from bathroom remodels.
chaniarts wrote:

2 happy women are easily worth $230 more, if that's the "right" solution. You may recover it multifolk, if you sell the house. If you are renting, then that's another thing.
On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:32:57 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

I have seen alot of pictures of bathroom remodels with two mirror set ups.
I never thought of craigslist...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you are in a metro area, check for "Habitat for Humanity" outlets along with places that sell recycled building items.
Be surprised what you find.
Lew

They're called Habitat for Humanity "Restores".
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

Perhaps ask the users how they feel about one mirror or two! :) No need to reveal the cost. Then, you'll learn the right decision.
On Monday, April 29, 2013 7:14:36 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

Already did that. Wife is fine with two but I did tell her the cost and that might be part of the reason she said it was ok.
I dont live in a metro area. A search of my local craigslist had lots of mirrors, but none the right size...

daughter was sick this weekend and had to take her to the doctor. On top of that i had to buy a new router and figure out how to hook it up to my old table.

are debating is whether to paint or stain it. I want to stain it to match the cabinet which is also in the attached picture. But I am open to anything.

ummm, mirror is easily scored and snapped. it takes a $2 glass cutter and a few drops of kerosine to do so. if it's free, you can get a lot of practice.
On 5/1/13 11:15 AM, chaniarts wrote:

Kerosine? For what?
--

-MIKE-

cutting oil. keeps glass chips from jamming the cutting wheel.