Mirror backing

We are putting a 41" X 33" mirror in the tv hole above our fire place. The Mirror is 1/4" thick. The TV hole is standard framing 2x4 with header. The mirror would fit into the hole in the existing framing with the trim that was applied for the TV hole.

The plan was to put a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood as a backer board for the mirror. The mirror and the backer board would be held against 1X2 frame attached to the trim of the existing TV hole.

Today I went to get the wood to cut the 41X33 backer board from.

I realized that even 3/4 plywood will warp not a good thing if the mirror is masticed to it.

What would you recomend for a backer board?

I have talked to several people with ideas all over the board. from sheet rock to no backer.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

On Monday, November 12, 2012 1:55:08 PM UTC-8, keith snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrot= e:

e Mirror is 1/4" thick. The TV hole is standard framing 2x4 with header. Th= e mirror would fit into the hole in the existing framing with the trim that= was applied for the TV hole. The plan was to put a 1/2 inch sheet of plywo= od as a backer board for the mirror. The mirror and the backer board would = be held against 1X2 frame attached to the trim of the existing TV hole. Tod= ay I went to get the wood to cut the 41X33 backer board from. I realized th= at even 3/4 plywood will warp not a good thing if the mirror is masticed to= it. What would you recomend for a backer board? I have talked to several p= eople with ideas all over the board. from sheet rock to no backer.

MDF

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Mirror is 1/4" thick. The TV hole is standard framing 2x4 with header. The mirror would fit into the hole in the existing framing with the trim that was applied for the TV hole. The plan was to put a 1/2 inch sheet of plywood as a backer board for the mirror. The mirror and the backer board would be held against 1X2 frame attached to the trim of the existing TV hole. Today I went to get the wood to cut the 41X33 backer board from. I realized that even 3/4 plywood will warp not a good thing if the mirror is masticed to it. What would you recomend for a backer board? I have talked to several people with ideas all over the board. from sheet rock to no backer.

drywall

Reply to
chaniarts

It shouldn't warp in the dry inside air, and it shouldn't get hot if you use your fireplace correctly (flue open). DAMHIKT

MDF, aka Termite Barf. It's more stable. DO seal all faces and edges, though. Are you going to make a hidden compartment, too?

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I mean, I know why, but it's overkill. I've had mdf scraps sitting in my garage and shed for years and they look like the day I bought it, minus the mouse turns and spider webs.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You should be talking to glass and mirror shop.

Reply to
Leon

As long as the trim retains the morror in its niche, why bother with a backing? Hanging mirrors don't have them, not substantial ones at least. If you just gotta have something behind it, sheetrock, MDF, particle board, OSB, plywood would all work. My preference would be sheetrock.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thank you all for your responses. Since hopefully I will have the mirror installed tomorrow, this should be my last post with questions.

I have been working on this project for some time. Yes I have talked with the man at the place that is cutting the mirror for me. But you know how it is, you are doing something you want nice that you have never done before. You get it all straight on what you are going to do and then something comes up that makes you question what you decided. Last item was the warped 1/2 plywood. I am going to go with MDF or similar composite wood. I had thought about sheet rock but because there will only be the 1X2 around the edges of the hole, I thought that over time the sheet rock edges would deteriorate and the mirror would become loose.

Yes I know there is stuff cut for this purpose but I have a lot of 1X2 scrap

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Because if someone trips in the area, their hand going through the mirror would guarantee it being (neatly or nearly) hacked off if there were no backing.

-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Trip and fall _OVER_ the fireplace up into the TV niche above it????

That's some "trip"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Normal trip if "you be trip'n". ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps there be giants...

Reply to
dadiOH

You have a knack for exaggeration. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:34:24 -0600, -MIKE-

Well, after a nice long shower, the bathroom is filled with steam and people can't see where they're going. So naturally, he should protect against anyone reaching out and putting their hand through the mirror.

:)

Reply to
Dave

If you followed another recent thread on this very subject you'd see that I advocated a mirror backing for that very reason. Moot point in this matter, however.

The exaggeration I thought was obvious to anyone reading, was the part about hacking ones hand off.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Same thread, same poster, as on Oct 22nd. Maybe next month we'll get it again. That job should have been completed, already.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

OP: Will the backer board protect me from someone behind the mirror reaching through and pulling me into their dimension??

This should be the last on this particular project. I am great full that I have all of you to assist with these projects, as it allows me to do thing I have never done before.

To night I have all of the things necessary to install the mirror. However, I have a real bad head cold, the type that effect your equilibrium. Since this project is ladder work with a large mirror, I decided it would be best to wait until my equilibrium returns

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k7ub98$4t4$1 @dont-email.me:

Maybe it's a true one-room apartment. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Supervisor Sonny! :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I would suggest cement board that is used in bathrooms and such.

Fiberglass and cement. Won't wiggle in water.

Mart> We are putting a 41" X 33" mirror in the tv hole above our fire place.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn