MinWax Wipe-On Poly problem

I rubbed MinWax Wipe-On Poly over stained pine and it got bad. I have now several places with white muddy polyurethane spots. I don't know why this happened and how to fix this. I followed instructions on can and use cotton rugs. any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Sasha

It sounds like a blush, moisture (water vapor) trapped under the poly. Not usre how this happened. Was the stain completly dried? Was it humid?

Regadless, try rubbing the spots with mineral oil or vasaline. Leave it wet with the oil for a few hours and it "may" replace the water moisture with clear oil. You actually should be in good shape if you used the wipe on poly correctly and have just a very thin coat.

Other option invloves sandpaper. Lots of sandpaper.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've just finished a big built-in natural oak cabinet, 8 by 10 feet with MinWax Wipe-On Poly and I'm very happy with the results. However I didn't really wipe it on, used a brush instead. All the wood has been stained with MinWax Red Oak stain.

White spots you mentioned are probably caused by moisture. Did you use a water-based stain?

Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

It was probably the "cotton rugs". Rags are recommended.

Reply to
CW