Minwax Date Codes

Page 2 of 3
On 7/4/2012 3:21 PM, Doug Miller wrote: ... My problem has always been that there has always been an area that would absorb the stain. It could not be as bad as I think it is, ;~), I have seen a lot of good work done with it.
Oddly I have resanded the whole section to bare wood and it had absorption problems again. Resanded again and used another product and no problem. This has happened to me more than once. Something odd going on there.
I don't think it's the stain; it's the preparation. I've used the Minwax stains for 30+ years and they're no more prone to blotching than any other oil based stain. Many woods need sized before staining; almost always one will get a better job if do so.
On 7/4/2012 11:32 PM, dpb wrote:

It was the stain. If you will recall I resanded the area again and reapplied and again and reapplied with another brand with no problem.
What I did not mention is that i resanded a third time to reapply the Miniwax as the other brand was not a match.
Now if preparation is needed past 180 grip paper, I'll pass.
Now what concerns me is that you mentioned that you get no more blotching than with any other oil based stain. I don't ever get blotching. What I was witnessing was spots that the stain would not stick and would come clean when I wiped off the excess.
Obviously it was the grain in the wood which Miniwax had a problem with. I ended up having to apply it to the finger nail sized area with a q-tip and lettigt dry thoroughly before applying varnish.
This was red oak that I was staining BTY.

BTW
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
On 7/5/2012 9:27 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

LOL ... I've always assumed that on Leon's keyboard the "Q" and "Y" must be juxtaposed. <g.d &r>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/5/2012 9:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

Gotta keep y'all on your toes!
On 7/5/2012 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

Ya'lls
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

--
G.W. Ross

A Metaphor is like a Simile.
On 7/5/12 6:31 PM, G. Ross wrote:

This is something I never got. If it's a contraction of "You" and "all," why the apostrophe after the "a" and not before it? There's no "a" in "you."
--

-MIKE-

On 7/5/2012 6:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Plus, in this case it's possessive, so I'd guess the truly correct form would be Y'all's ... ;-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 7/5/12 8:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

You're all wrong. It's youins'.
--

-MIKE-

That's what happens when you misspell it. ;-) Y'all is a contraction of "you" and "all", with the "ou" dropped and replaced by the '''. ;-)

What's the possessive of "it"?

In NY, it's yous.
Sure it isn't a contraction of ya' (yuh) and all? I doubt people using "ya'll" enunciate "you" frequently.
------- wrote in message That's what happens when you misspell it. ;-) Y'all is a contraction of "you" and "all", with the "ou" dropped and replaced by the '''. ;-)
What's the possessive of "it"?
In NY, it's yous.

Positive.
Wrong, in many ways, of course. Top posters always are.
On 7/5/2012 8:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Bzzzt ... according to Kinky, that is a matter of personal choice.
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 7/5/2012 6:31 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Bzzzt ... not in Texas. The sentence should properly read in the mother tongue:
Gotta keep y'all on ya'lls toes!
The dual singular/plural "y'all", is always followed by the plural possessive "ya'lls" in a sentence, and the possessive "'s" is an elision, and optional, matter of personal choice.
Dayum, all y'all have to do is listen to Kinky Friedman.
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

OK, you've proven your point. Now stoooooooooooooooooooooawp!
-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Leon wrote:

I may have read Wikipedia too fast. When I read "serial numbers of a production run", I interpreted it that production run's have serial numbers.
I doubt that each can of tuna get it's own serial number--even if they comnes from the same fish! Now each particular tuna fish might get it's own serial number. Leaving some meat on the bone, that's alot like naming them...

On 7/3/2012 4:21 PM, Bill wrote:

No you are thinking batch number commonly used when a quantity of product is divided and sold in individual containers. A new batch of the product would get a new batch number. If you are buying 3 quarts of stain you would want to make sure each can was from the same batch and had the same batch number to insure that they were all identical in color. if the batch numbers were different it would be wise to mix all together to insure a uniform color.
Serial numbers typically indicate a single manufactured item that is not divided and sold in smaller quantities. Manufacturers use serial numbers mostly for recall and or repair purposes. If there is a problem with a series of manufactured products they are easier to identify by serial number.

It could be a batch serial number. *mischevious grin*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 7/3/2012 3:17 PM, Puckdropper wrote: ...

Or a serial batch number... :)