Minor gloat, great day.

I periodically post a message on the local for sale news groups saying "will take down trees for the wood, you do the cleanup".
Today I took down two apple trees, as well as an ornamental cedar and a saskatoon berry shrub.
Delightful young couple who to my chagrin and my 8 year old's delight, had a Nintendo Game Cube system that kept Nick busy for the two hours I was working.
I came home with a van full of apple wood (as well as a bit of cedar and saskatooon) ranging from 4 to 18 inches in diameter, sealed the ends and stacked it with the other wood awaiting my attention. Just as I was finishing, the neighbors came home and their young boys took off with Nick and the dog, and we spent the remainder of the afternoon (sunny and 22C -- about 75F -- in April in Saskatoon, a beautiful day for the time of year) sitting around yakking and quaffing a couple of ales.
Tomorrow morning, I think I'll start cycling to work.
Spring is here, summer is nigh!
What a great day.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

glad you had a great one!
randy

Dave Balderstone wrote: snippage of excellent wood and daughter gloat

I came to Rochester, NY to visit the in-laws and it's snowing. Has been for 2 days, I drove through a white out to get here. How come you get all the good weather?
Dave in Fairfax
--
daveldr at att dot net

Because we put up with all shit weather the rest of the continent doesn't want from November through March.
:-P
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Don't feel too bad Dave. If you are still there, its in the 30's this AM in NoVa. I had to pull out my wool overcoat this morning. What the hell is the date???? We just did what with the clocks????
SteveP.

-21 with the windchill here this fine April 5th morning. Even my dog looked at me with fear in his eyes...to go out and take a leak....
Cheers,
aw
Mon, Apr 5, 2004, 10:11am snipped-for-privacy@patriot.nospam.net (StevenP) says: Don't feel too bad Dave. If you are still there, its in the 30's this AM in NoVa. I had to pull out my wool overcoat this morning. What the hell is the date???? We just did what with the clocks????
Yeah, damn weather. Supposedly 80 here in central NC today. Terrible. LMAO
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
You know, you and my sister would get along great. She would call me from Florida in February bitching that the pollen was bothering her.
SteveP.
(Steven P) says: Don't feel too bad Dave. If you are still there, its in the 30's this AM in NoVa. I had to pull out my wool overcoat this morning. What the hell is the date???? We just did what with the clocks????
Yeah, damn weather. Supposedly 80 here in central NC today. Terrible. LMAO
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.
Thu, Apr 8, 2004, 9:37am snipped-for-privacy@patriot.nospam.net (StevenP) claims: You know, you and my sister would get along great. She would call me from Florida in February bitching that the pollen was bothering her.
Not unless she's willing to move out of Floridy. But, if she's willing to move, doesn't smoke, and has a boat, give her my number. Have her send a picture of the boat first.
JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

If you're complaining about visiting you should try to live here sometime. I used to live just outside Baltimore but moved to Rochester 18 years ago. I'll never get used to the weather.
Really enjoying the good weather here in the PACNORWEST too. Spent this afternoon hiking with the family. Spent the entire day yesterday in my garage working on my boat and finishing a cabinet to go next to my table saw.
Sigh....too bad I have to return to work tomorrow....
Tim
On 4/4/04 16:29, in article 040420041829045401%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_S.balderstone.ca, "Dave Balderstone"

Mmmmm ... apple. I was just thinking it's time to break out the smoker and make up some smoked salmon or Indian candy. (Do youse guys get Indian candy over there? I know I first tried it in Alberta.) Apple would do the trick nicely, but I can never get the stuff down here in Texasland. I'll e-mail you my address so you know where to send the stuff, OK?

75 degrees in Saskatchetoonewan in April?! Heck, you were as warm as we were.

Yeah, and it'll be snowing next week.
Anyhow, congrats on the nice day. From what I understand, y'all get about a dozen of them in between the winter snowstorms and the summer heat. ;-)
Chuck Vance

We're east of Alberta, so there's no native salmon (nor is there in Alberta) but it's easy enough to find.

I'm not sure how to attach wood to an email, but I'll give it a shot.
;-)

Six months of winter, six mnths of bad snowmobiling...
Now we need some rain... both to cut the dust and to get some moisture into the soil before seeding.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Yeah, I knew that (not all wankers are ignorant about Canuckistanian geography :-), but I was just curious about Indian candy itself, as I'd never heard of it anywhere but in the GWN.
(FWIW, SWMBO was born in the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta, and her mom lives in Regina.)

Smartass. :-)

SWMBO likes to say it's six months of winter and six months of road construction. :-)
Chuck Vance
For those of you who have never been to Saskatchewan, It is flat as a milled board for about 600Km between the provinces of Manitoba and Alberta. Wheat capital of the North. Northern Sask has a little more landscape though.
JohnV From Alberta

Southwest corner - Cypress Hills, the area west of here (Toontown) towards Biggar (town motto: "New York is big, but this is Biggar) has some nice rolling hills.
The top half of the province is lakes and forest, great fishing for walleye, lake trout, pike, whitefish, etc...
Now if we could just get rid of this g*d*mn lying commie b*st*rd provincial government and open up exploration and development of the oil and gas reserves we're sitting on, we'd be just about perfect.
And actually, wheat is on the decline (though still a big crop). Canola, flax, lentils, field peas, canary seed, barley, oats, and of course mustard. We produce a good percentage of the world's mustard seed.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Hard to disagree that you guys have a pretty country up there and about the right number of people too. Watch your immigration policies, I think that was our big mistake down here, well one of them anyway.
I just got back from NY, and I am glad to be back. It snowed about half the time I was up there. I shoulda turned around when I had to drive through a white-out to get there. Nice and warm here in VA though.
BTW Messr Canning, I stopped in at Pittsford Lumber. His planes are just as ridiculously priced as always, and he only had the Lignum Vitae that one time. oh well.
Dave in Fairfax (again)
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
wrote:

milled
Wheat
Just did a quick search. Canadian mustard production started with 40 hectares in Alberta in 1936.
Canada produced 32% of the world's mustard in 2002 (32%, followed by Nepal - who'd have thought? - at 29%) at 154,000 tonnes. but that was down from 202,000 tonnes in 2000. Only 89,000 tonnes was produced in 2001 because of drought.
80% of Canada's mustard is grown in Saskatchewan.
In 2002, 30% of Canadian mustard went to the USA, 26% to Belgium, and 22% to Bangladesh. the remainder went to The Netherlands, Japan, Germany and Thailand.
More than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure... But it drives home the point that Saskatchewan isn't full of wheat.
;-)
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?