minor cuts treatment

Page 2 of 3

Find someplace like Tractor Supply or Agway, or maybe even your local drugstore(here in western NY they keep it behind the prescription counter) and get some "Bag Balm". Active ingredients petroleum jelly & sulfa. Great for man or beast, wonderful for diaper rash & jock itch and does help with cuts & scratches.
Nahmie

Tea tree oil
Superglue
Sticking plasters (rarely last more than an hour though)
Vinyl disposable glove - helps to preserve the sticking plaster past the end of the day, or you can slice of fthe appropriate chunk and stick it in place aas a finger stall.
One thing that's _really_ useful, although more so when I'm welding, is a squirt bottle of Water-jel burn jelly. I have their big dressings too, but the squirter doesn't cost $5 when I open the package.
-- Smert' spamionam
CA glue works wonders.

From my younger days as a farrier, where my fingers were often ripped and torn from driving horseshoe nails into a sometimes moving, jerking target, often covered with horseshit to boot, I've kept a bottle of 7% iodine solution on hand ... and used it on both me and the horses.
Still keep a bottle out in the shop for cuts, just flood the wound, then leave it open.
I would imagine that everyone's body is different, but cuts heal very fast if I use it, much slower if I don't ... to the point that some of those small cuts that have a tendency to be more sore than serious are often no longer sore within hours.
YMMV ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04
Swingman wrote:

That's 'cause you burn off all the pain receptors with that iodine! :)
Dmitri, Working with epoxy & other stuff, I get denatured alcohol by the gallon. I typically decant some into an old pint-sized mustard container with a 'dropper' type lid. {if your nervous, Isopropyl Alcohol from the local CVS, etc.} 1 - Clean / wash the scratch/cut with alcohol. 2 - Apply a little bit of some brand of 'Triple Antibiotic Ointment' 3 - Apply a 'Band-Aid' - gauze or 'cloth' type . . . they conform better and last longer than the 'plastic' type. I carry at least one in my wallet. Joanne used to joke about it . . . until about a week ago - we were standing in line to return some clothes when her finger started to bleed {a paper or hanger 'cut' ??}. Did a good job on my handkerchief before I stopped it - and saved the clothes. Cleaned it up and used the 'Day-Glo Orange' Band-Aid I had tucked away.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {As in small boat safety . . . it's simple enough the make up a small 'emergency med kit' and keep it in a BRIGHT COLORED box somewhere in the shop . . . we DO have a LOT of SHARP implements . . . and some move at a very high speed !! }

SNIP

for the most part I keep them clean and open to the air. seems to work best for me     Bridger
forth from the murky depths:

Ditto here. Tea tree oil helps to keep the infection down if it gets infected anyway, but they seldom do.
For leakers in the shop, I have masking tape and paper towels handy so I rip off a piece and tape it down until the red stuff stops leaking. After that they usually heal more quickly if left open.
Fabric strip bandaids work well for those pesky repeat leakers on fingertips. I hate staining wood, knowwhatImean,Vern?
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications ===================================================
Dmitri wrote:

In all cases, soap and water... lots of cold water. Follow that with Neosporin ointment. I use super glue (chemically very similar to Dermabond) on those annoying paper cuts. Whether I band aid or not depends on how annoying the cut is.
Sliced off fingers and forearms go in a baggy with some cold saline for either reattachment by a surgeon (if successful) or mounting on a nice walnut plaque (if not). YMMV.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@BARFcarolina.rr.com
says...

waterless antibiotic cleanser, leave it open to the air if it's a small cut, otherwise bag balm (vaseline & sulfa) as already suggested, or vitamin E liquid-filled gel caps, split open onto the scar.
Soap and water followed by petroleum jelly, and a small bandage if the wound is on my hand and I don't want to get blood on the workpiece. I wouldn't advise sprinkling sawdust on a wound. If you're lucky enough to avoid an infection you may still get an annoying histaminic reaction. Neosporin is good stuff because in addition to being essentially petroleum jelly, it has a mild anesthetic in it.
--Jay
Make that antibiotic, not anesthetic.
Jay Windley wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

wound
wouldn't
an
is
has

"Tincture of Time" is the sure treatment.
'Helper' products:
There's a generic (i.e. inexpensive) product, "Bacitracin" -- petroleum jelly w/ a anti-bacterial additive
"A & D" ointment -- another light petrleum jelly, with vitamin additives.
or even Vasoline(tm).
Wash w/ soap and water. Dry _thoroughly_. Apply one of the 'helper' products. Cover with Band-Aid(tm), or similar -- or one of the 'liquid patch' types.
Aloe Vera on small cuts. Bag Balm on medium cuts. Really tightly wrapped gauze on big cuts soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide and not touched for 7 days (cleanest, best scar I own)
You won't believe this one: Yellow mustard for burns. Slather it on and leave it be. Straight out of the ice box feels even better.

today
board
looking
You're right, don't get cut. However, accidents happen sometimes. Here is a treatment I discovered in a book called "Back To Eden" by Jethro Kloss. I wouldn't post this unless I had tried it, and I have numerous times over the years on individuals including myself in various circumstances, some of which were serious.
This works best on fairly clean cuts, large or small. You'll be amazed at what happens; get some powdered golden seal, put a table spoon in a dishpan of water as hot as you can stand without getting burned. The golden seal powder is an excellent disinfectant. Place the injury in the water until the tissues come completely together, this will take only a few minutes -- add hot water as necessary to maintain the temperature. Bleeding will stop almost immediately, and so will the pain. As the cut tissues come together they will align themselves, then you can butterfly or tape the injury together. The wonderful thing about this proceedure is that it naturally aligns all the tissues to their original placement, not just the surface. Be sure to hold the parts together with tape as soon as the injury is removed from the hot water, since it will begin to gap when the treatment is ended. If you feel further medical attention is necessary or that you should have sutures see a doctor.
This treatment will alleviate almost all pain and give tremendous relief. My experience is that butterfly tape is preferable to sutures if they will hold the cut together, and will leave far less scarring. The response of the tissue to hot water is NOT the normally expected restrictive swelling that results from an injury, and it does NOT increase bleeding. But it does increase healthy circulation and healing, and can be repeated for that effect.

tsk tsk, peroxide never worked for me. bleach does the job for scrapes with lots of bad stuff(rocks dirt sanding grit) second skin works nice on burns,(like when you grab a piece on the lathe to stop it BEFORE turning off the motor(Ooops) and duct tape makes the best bandaids ever

Actually, 3M makes a clear waterproof bandage that's quite good. Like a band-aid, the clear waterproof part is Tegaderm and is waterproof and breathable (think GoreTex). If you get it on without leaks (i.e. with the edge stuck down all round) it allows the wound to heal quite well. You can wash your hands and the wound stays dry. Best small cut bandage I've found.
At many drugstores.
Mike
superglue!
--
You may be only one person in the world, BUT, you may also be the world to
one person!