Minimum recommended setup?

Crosscutting, especially with veneered plywood is where your 80T carbide tipped blade would typically find its home.

However, a 60t carbide tipped combination blade can handle the ripping and crosscutting of that veneered plywood with satisfactory results. ~ Saves a little money and the need to change blades.

Reply to
Dave

s around the house. I'd like to be able to make fairly simple things like s= helves and bookcases, structure to organize closets, etc. What are some min= imum recommended tools? Not the small things like measuring tape or glue or= the like, but the big stuff. A basic table saw probably, right? I'd like t= o be able to make strong joints like dovetail (or whatever the straight ver= sion of that is) so maybe a router is necessary, yes? Would you recommend a= nail gun? It comes in really handy doesn't it?

Find someplace to take a few classes. Then your list will build itself.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You might look at the Frued adjustable dado blade. It is more expensive, but as plywood sizes vary so much you might find it will save you a lot of time and trouble with setup. I know budgets have to be maintained, but this will pay for it's self with reduced frustration and tighter fits.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

around the house. I'd like to be able to make fairly simple things like shelves and bookcases, structure to organize closets, etc. What are some minimum recommended tools? Not the small things like measuring tape or glue or the like, but the big stuff. A basic table saw probably, right? I'd like to be able to make strong joints like dovetail (or whatever the straight version of that is) so maybe a router is necessary, yes? Would you recommend a nail gun? It comes in really handy doesn't it?

Or pick your project and buy what you need to build it. Then pick another project.

Reply to
J. Clarke

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I didn't really want to like it... But as a $75 premium on an already $200 dado blade set, I can see that it would quickly pay for itself in "reduced frustration" (as you called it). Thank you for mentioning the blade.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ask Swingman he uses the same blade.

Reply to
Mike M

-------------------------------------------------------------- Having had a Freud SD508, it didn't disappoint me.

You have a couple of chippers designed to match the undersized ply in the set.

A $20 dial caliper OTOH, is worth it's weight in gold IMHO during setup.

OTOH, until you have a table saw, the SD508 is nothing more than a display trinket.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

When I tell folks that I read through motherboard manuals before buying the motherboard they will often look at me as though that is absurd. IMO, there is no other (good) way to do it. I was surprised to learn that the Dial-A-Width Freud Dado set does not work on all saws, including some you might expect it to work on. And yes, I learned this yesterday with neither a table saw nor a dado set. Knowledge is king (or queen). Of course, telling you this is like preaching to the pope... ; )

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I used to have all my woodworking tools stored in my garage. All of them had a specific place when not in use, so I could still get the cars in the garage. Theree years ago, I wanted to buy a new tablesaw and I had the spot picked out to store it. After I got it home and started to assemble it, I forgot to account for the side wings. It was at this point that I talked the wife into letting me build a 20x22 workshop, instead of returning the tablesaw. I think I did pretty good in that deal.

Rob

Reply to
rlz

That new TS cost me about $15K. Concrete slab, fully insulated with air/heat/satellite radio and HD TV.

Reply to
rlz

I wonder how TV have influenced the statistics on table saw injuries.

Reply to
knuttle

Let me finish with

Are there sources for plans for common things on the net? I googled, but only found pay sites. Specifically, I'd like to build a modular bookcase. Cubes that stack and look decent but that I could just grab when I want to reorganize or move. (kinda like milk crates but stronger.) Any website, and/or plans, like that around?

Reply to
Pringles CheezUms

Maybe browse some woodworking magazines. I think Wood magazine has a bookcase related item in every issue-at least it seems like they do. Virtually every book on cabinetmaking in your library ought to have plenty of ideas. You may even find such a book on Google Books. You might look at Google Images website lumberjocks.com for ideas.

Try to draw a picture of what you want. Does your project need to resemble "fine woodworking" or will "rough carpentry" suffice? Are you really going to be satisfied with "stackable cubes"? If so, I guess you only figure out how to build one. What material do you wish to build with? The expression "look decent" is really vague--WHAT do you want it to look like?

If you can sketch, give it a go! You can post it at alt.binaries.picures.woodworking, and you will probably get some helpful tips from people who know stuff.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Have you tried to Google "free bookcase plans". There are literally thousands of hits.

Reply to
knuttle

Actually she was fairly easy to win over. I told her that I would move all my tools into the workshop and she would finally get a cleaned out garage. Of course, the garage was un-finished, so after I built the workshop, I had to insulate and drywall the garage for her. It does look nice in there now, and I spend every available minute in my shop.

Reply to
rlz

nicer looking than cubes or boards set on concrete blocks.

Google "free woodworking plans" for more options.

-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:43:56 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah Rob, that would have been my question too. What if anything did you build for your wife to get her permission? That's the standard woodworker's method of getting new tools ~ telling them you need it to build them something.

Of course, you could have agreed to something else, but that wouldn't be the tried and true 'new tool' method to get something new for the workshop.

Reply to
Dave

Or, you could try alt.binaries.e-book.technical for most everything you'd ever want.

Reply to
Dave